fitting hydraulic cyl to 4x6 saw

I am on the hunt for a hydraulic cylinder for my 4x6 import saw. I wish to
replace the spring tension with adjustable hydraulic tension. I checked the
surplus center, but nothing there looked like it would fill the bill. Anyone
got any pointers as to where to look?
Thanks all
Reply to
Grady
I have a about 2 foot long hydraulic cylinder lying in my garage, military surplus.
Ignoramus30369
My saw is a bit bigger, but I got my cylinder there, new. It was the smallest of one of the new series. See
to see how it went in.
Grant
Reply to
Grant Erwin
Look for a pneumatic cylinder, more compact and using oil in them is not a problem. A metering needle valve is easily plumbed in.
Tom
Reply to
Tom
Go to:

It has an article on just that. It uses a cylinder from Surplus center.
Chuck P.
Reply to
MOP CAP
You want one of these Item# 1-1554
Our Price $8.99
And one of these flow control valves. Item# 20-1149
Our Price $7.99
I put them on mine and it works great. The flow control lets you lift the saw without changing the spring setting. Fast up slow down. Someplace in the dropbox I put some pictures of it about 5 years ago. Glenn
Reply to
sleykin
Look for an air cylinder. They work just dandy for this, when filled with ooil
Reply to
Studly Hungwell
Look for an air cylinder. They work just hunky dory filled with ATF. Thats whats on my Emerson bandsaw, apparently since it was built.
Gunner
Gunner
Unfortunately Surplus Center and American Scientific, both of whom used to have tons of those adjustable cylinders on hand are now totally sold out.....and neither of the places seem like they are going to be getting any more in.
I modified a saw for a friend and used a metering valve with an air cylinder, and used DOT type / sized air lines to plumb it. I filled it with baby oil and it works just fine. Look for a Bimba brand or other pneumatic cylinder. I am not sure what type of seals the various pneumatic cylinders have, but I found out from personal experieince regular petroleum based fluids will eact seals out of HOnda rack and pinion units, but baby oil worked fine, so that ws my decision to go with baby oil........
Fortunately pneumatic cylinders are smaller, and in good supply both used and new, and not expensive...not as cheap as those surplus cylinders but with in reason.
============================================== Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked! "The original frugal ponder" ~~~~ } ~~~~~~ } ~~~~~~~ }
Reply to
~Roy~
And you add fluid to this 1-1554 gas cylinder?
I see someone selling a saw cylinder on Ebay for the rather rich price of $90 & S/H.
Reply to
Dave
Can anyone say this is a significant improvement? To me it seems a bit odd. What should matter is limiting the maximum force on the blade. A spring system adjusts the force applied to the blade. A hydraulic system simply lowers the blade at a defined rate with no relation to the blade pressure. How do you tell if the needle valve / rate of descent is adjusted correctly?
Reply to
Dave
The hydraulic lowering provides damping against "bounce", and prevents the saw from hogging in thin materials. It's an adjuct to spring or gravity feed, not a replacement.
With thicker material, the cut rate limits the drop rate. With thin material, the cylinder limits the rate. You separately adjust feed rate and weight on the blade to accommodate the material and blade pitch/speed.
LLoyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
Really big expensive saws use a hydraulic downfeed that's basically just like these. You adjust the needle valve until the saw is cutting correctly.
Grant
Reply to
Grant Erwin
Actually it is not a gas cylinder. It is hydraulic and is surplus from a stair stepper. At least all 3 of the ones I bought came with oil in them. They have a plain needle valve in them and I changed it out for a flow valve.
Reply to
Glenn
Yep thats the one, but they have been out of stock for a few months now......inventory is still showing a big fat "0"
============================================== Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked! "The original frugal ponder" ~~~~ } ~~~~~~ } ~~~~~~~ }
Reply to
~Roy~
So they call it an "Adjustable Gas Spring" but you can tell it isn't?
Dave
Are you interested in parting with it? What is the bore, etc? I dont think I need a really huge one, but would be interested in hearing what you have on hand.
Reply to
Grady
This is very similar to what I had in mind. A basic closed loop system to regulate the feed. The idea with the check valve is great.
Reply to
Grady
Thanks for the link, I will check it out.
Reply to
Grady
$90 is way to rich for this project. I cant imagine not being able to do it for under 20 or 30 bucks with surplus material.
Reply to
Grady