Strange chop saw problem

I have a cheap Chinese made chop saw. It is the same chop saw sold everywhere under different names.

It worked just fine. For a while.

Just two days ago I used my chop saw to cut some small piece, nothing remarkable. Everything worked well. No problems.

Yesterday, though, it would not turn on at all. I tried and made sure that power was really supplied to its plug, etc. Still, it would not work, as though there was no electricity.

There was no "event" that I would find remarkable, prior to it going dead, no overloading, no special noise, smell, etc.

It just would not do anything now. No buzzing or any action of any kind can be detected. Any guesses as to what could actually be wrong?

Ignoramus16919

Ignoramus16919 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.alt.net:

I'd start with my multimeter and the Switch

Reply to
Anthony

Yep, the switch went out on mine, but it stuck in the on position.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

If this has plastic brush holders the problem could be that the holders got hot.The deformed plastic is likely stopping the brushes from contacting the comutator. If it is the problem give the carbon brush a stroke with a file on all four sides of the brush. This usually fixes a very common problem.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

You got you're nickles worth... Time to spend some more....

Reply to
kbeitz

Id move the plug around while holding the switch down. Push the wire into the plug. Also imspect the wire for damage. Simple things but might save you a lot of useless trouble shooting.

John

Reply to
john

OK, I will mess with switches, brushes etc, using a multimeter, I also suspect brushes, this behavior is quite atypical.

Ignoramus16919

======================== If its not the switch, try rotating the blade a few degrees and then hit the start switch. [several times] If it comes to life in another position you have armature/comutator problems. Be sure your fingers are clear of the blade before hitting the trigger. If you are very careful, try spinning the blade and hitting the trigger.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Did not work... I will open up the handle with the switch, and see if

120v gets there... i
Reply to
Ignoramus16919

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 20:40:15 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus16919 quickly quoth:

What has your multimeter said so far?

I got one of those cheap chop saws from an asshole on eBay and it fried a brush within 2 minutes. I still haven't found a replacement, but I'm only out $10. (eBay forced a partial refund after the guy never returned my calls/emails.)

It sounds like either a brush died, a lead came off, or the switch went out. There's not much else in the system but for the motor windings, and they're usually machine made and fairly reliable from what I've seen.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

it said that switch functions just fine.

Well, I know that switch is ok. I am sligtely drunk right now, and will resume repairs tomorrow.

Ignoramus16919

I fixed it. it was easy. the little brush caps became loose and so did the brushes. I s\imply had to tighten them slightly.

Ignoramus16919

I might forget also, since I was slightly buzzed from beer. If I ask again, do not call me stupid.

Ignoramus16919

======== Thanks for the feedback and "the rest of the story."

Glad it was simple and no-cost. Now if I can just remember this when I have the same problem.....

Unka George (George McDuffee) ............................. I sincerely believe . . . banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale. Thomas Jefferson (1743?1826), U.S. president. Letter, 28 May 1816, to political philosopher and Senator John Taylor

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Reply to
William Noble

Usual problem is one or both brushes stuck in their holders. Check that they are both free and actually contacting the commutator.

Jim

Reply to
pentagrid

Yes. I retightened those holders and everything was fine. Since I opened the handle to look at the switch, I noted just how thin the wires are inside the handle -- at best they are 16 gauge wires.

Ignoramus906

Why drink? You never actually BUY a 6 pack, you only rent it and if its the buzz you want, have the old lady wrap a nylon stocking around your neck for no more than 3 minutes.

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right before demode` (out of fashion).

-Buddy Jordan 2001

Reply to
Gunner

I drank because I wanted to go to bed early.

Ignoramus906

========================== Please advise name/brand of beer ASAP.

I have tried that approach many times, generally with no success. I had no idea this was because I was drinking the wrong brand......