New (to me) JPS 7x12 band saw

I've never heard of JPS but the unit looks nice and the salesman claims it was used by a supplier to cut of samples of some material and it is very low hours. And, we got a great deal! It kinda' look like a "Jet". Does anybody have one of these? If so, could I get a copy of a manual? (Not that we EVER read such things)

Does anybody want to buy my 4x6 Johnson? It's got a hydraulic feed cylinder but it is making a bit of gearbox noise.

Reply to
Buerste

CORRECTION:

6X9 NOT 4X6
Reply to
Buerste

A quick google shows up a "JPS" saw as Jet Pro Shop. Might be the same, might be different. Try the model number on their web site.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

You can order the '5S Hand Wheel' from Harbor Freight: parts AtSymbol harborfreight.com

Prolly you will also want:

3 Washer 1/2"x28xt2 4 Key 5x5x15L

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

That machine btw...is the same as my Dayton and is the same as a Jet and a...etc etc etc.

They are a decent enough machine if everything is working properly. Virtually every one Ive seen had issues with the downfeed cylinder..which I too had to replace. I primarily use it for cutting aluminum, and use the big Emerson for other metals.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

What goes wrong with the cylinder? Is it repairable or just replace when it goes? How much are they? Maybe I should salvage the one on my Johnson. (I just like saying "my Johnson")

Reply to
Buerste

Seals go out. And if mine were of any indication..most of them were "crimpled" closed construction, not something you can pull apart and replace the seals in.

I simply replaced mine with a small hydraulic cylinder of a proper stroke. I had some kicking around..so it wasnt a big deal. For those in Yorba Linda...shrug

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Great, I have repaired those repair-proof cylinders before but usually the time is better spent. I like getting new equipment, it's a morale boost for the guys.

A friend that had another brush company died a number of years ago and his widow gave me a truck load of tool steel rounds 4' long and up to 8" dia.. Unfortunately, none of it is marked and she can't find the purchasing records. Now, it's worth slicing off a piece of each and getting it all analyzed. We knew the old saw was on it's last legs so we.ve been looking for a couple of months. Everything we've found was too big, small, expensive or just wrong. So, we settled for this saw and paid $350. Used tool dealers are very happy to cut deals these days.

I just got a call from my heat-treater today, the new blanking die we sent him turn out to be cold-roll (steel not from the truck load).

Reply to
Buerste

Of course they are. Most of them, particularly in your neck of the woods, are overloaded with used machinery. Worse than in the 1999-2000 recession. Only the hobby guys are actually buying any quanity of stuff.

Cringe...not P20 eh? Ouch

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to rescue it by case hardening and re-grinding? I'm assuming not, but it'd be nice to know.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Sure, that would do the job but the die makes a simple 2" round from 19 gauge steel. The die is 3" OD x 1.5" high with a 2" bore and counterbored

2-1/16" x 1.25" and there are two bolt holes. A simple die, about 1.5 hours to machine, we'll just make another one from O-1. The one being replaced lasted 40 years and only failed due to an alignment issue during set-up by a trainee. What I don't get is how the machinist didn't know by the cut that the steel wasn't O-1.
Reply to
Buerste