Cutting off Short Stock on the 4 x 6 HV Band Saw

I have several coffee cans of "shorts" that I just can't bring myself to to ss. I will need to live to be at least 150 to use them all up. But--- I R EALLY needed one yesterday. So I spent a lot of time designing a neat solut ion. THEN I went looking on the "net". Found several methods. Scrapped my plans and started all over. Now I have a very simple solution. I will call it "Solution Number One Thou sand and One".

Anyway, it's at:

Pete Stanaitis

---------------

Reply to
spaco

I have a small vise that I clamp in the saw's vice, but I like your solution better. Not that I have the need often enough to justify making yours. Especially since I don't have a mill clamp set to borrow from.

Regarding the rectangular stock limitation: if you take a piece of flat stock at least as thick as the filet's radius and set the rectangular stock on it, it will space up the stock away from the filet. Or place the flat piece against the upright leg. Same effect.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Anyway, it's at:

Pete Stanaitis

---------------

My solution is less elegant than yours but so far it's been enough. I drilled two more holes in the base of the fixed jaw to move it very close to the blade for square cuts, and use the screw through the moving jaw like you have to space out the far end if I can't find another piece of the same scrap to hold the jaws parallel.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

On Tuesday, August 19, 2014 5:33:37 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@baldwin-telecom.net wro te:

toss. I will need to live to be at least 150 to use them all up. But--- I REALLY needed one yesterday. So I spent a lot of time designing a neat sol ution. THEN I went looking on the "net". Found several methods. Scrapped my plans and started all over.

ousand and One".

Pete, I like that a lot. A project for next week.

Thanks

Rex

Reply to
Rex

Greetings Pete, I finally got a chance to look at the link in your message and I like it! While I don't have the ubiquitous 4x6 HV bandsaw anymore your idea will work great in my larger bandsaw. The stationary vise jaw on my bandsaw does not get real close to the blade. Most of the time this is not a problem but I do have a few jobs where getting close and personal the the blade will save me time and my customers money. Two jobs in particular come to mind. For one job I saw up 5 inch diameter aluminum bar stock into 1.6 inch lengths that get machined into sheaves. The material is shipped to me in 6 foot lengths and each length has that one last piece that is too long to make one part and not quite long enough to make two parts. But trying to saw off that last bit is a pain so I end up hogging the material off in the manual lathe (a waste of material), or fiddling around with back up plates in the saw to support the material when sawing and then using a slow feed rate (a waste of time) on the saw so the part isn't pulled out of square when sawing. My saw cuts very accurately so instead of using hot rolled angle as is I'm going to machine a piece square. I will however be using your clamping method because it is only for one part per 6 foot piece of stock. And with several tapped holes easily changed to any size the saw is capable of. Thanks a bunch for posting your idea. It is what rcm is all about. Eric

Reply to
etpm