New laser magazine

It's out today -- our new online magazine called _Shop Floor Lasers_. If you're into anything involving laser-beam cutting, welding, cladding, heat-treating, etc., you'll find it interesting. Otherwise, you won't. d8-)

There is a good article about hybrid welding -- a combination of laser and MIG. That was a nice job of writing and researching.

I take no credit for this issue, by the way. I didn't write any of it. I'm on the masthead, but I won't be involved until next year. This is Abbe Miller's baby, and she's very good.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Looks like it might have some interesting articles but I gave up after a minute or two trying to drive that godawful viewer / webpage.

Reply to
Shed_Fiddler

I hit the right arrow key and it changed pages in under one second flat. Nice, clean, clear pics and text. ???

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Sorry to hear that. Most people find the Nxtbook reader to be fast as a streak. On my computer, I can flip through ten pages in less than four seconds.

I've hated those types of readers for years, and I still hate some of them, but this one really seems to have gotten it right.

BTW, if you want to see the issue as a PDF, one of the stupid icons at the top is a "save to your desktop" function (just mouse over them; they're explained). It opens a page with a few options, the last of which is to save as PDF.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

"The kid" spent two years as lead in the laser department.

His company is replacing one of the lasers and just picked a small group of engineers and shop leads to select which equipment. Their budget is $600K so they might get a fairly good one.

Anyway, I'll send the magazine link to them. just the kind of subscribers you are after.

FWIW, the old laser is for sale. A REAL DEAL as they refurbed it, ran it for a year, and now need more capacity. It will go for scrap weight price.

"The kid" wants me to buy it. but the unit takes 600 square feet and weighs 40K lbs. Iggy territory. A smart guy could part out the handling system to get the size down and have a $100,000 laser for peanuts.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Hey, that's great. Thanks, Karl.

BTW, we're still covering lasers at FAB Shop, too. As I said in my August editorial, there's just too much going on with lasers right now for us to stuff it all into FAB Shop:

Abbe and I have to figure out how we're going to divide the coverage.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Thanks Ed - the pdf version is good. ;)

Probably just my personal viewing preferences.

Reply to
Shed_Fiddler

You're not alone. The online readers have been one of the biggest hangups for online publishing. When I'm editing, I work in Acrobat, so I deal with both. My preference for just reading it has switched from Acrobat, which is good for reading but which may be the world's worst text-editing program, to Nxtbook.

I hope you find some things in this issue that make it worth the effort. Please let me know, frankly, what you think.

Reply to
Ed Huntress