New (to me) bandsaw update

The new saw shows up and it's in great shape! Everything works but we haven't exactly figured out the vise. It slides free then it seems like a cam lock of some sort clamps the work in the vise. Nobody EVER cleaned it but under all the swarf the paint isn't even scratched. It cuts straight, fast and quiet. It also flips up to vertical but there must be some type of table attachment available; don't care, we'll never go vertical. I still have the links (thanks) and the manual in PDF...we might even READ it!

Reply to
Buerste

That would be a first, for you! Don't you mean you'll have someone else read it to you, to protect your record? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hey Buerste,

YES!! you will go vertical. I threw away my table (about 10 inches by 10 inches) many years ago. The saw still has a small, useable horizontal platform (maybe 2 inches square?). You would be surprised how many times you will simply want to 'freehand' cut the head off a bolt, shorten a rod, cut a strip of sheet metal, cut open the plastic housing on a plastic battery pack, etc. etc., all done with the saw held vertically. Seems like

95% of all my saw use is doing the above, all done vertically. Why go to all the trouble to place a small part in the vice simply because you want to cut off a piece of it. Hold it in your hand and cut it!! Hand held, you have much better feel and can guide the cut to your liking.

Glad to hear you got a saw!!

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Yep! Did the 10x10 come with the saw? I do have a nice vertical band saw with a welder and reels of blade stock.

Reply to
Buerste

I think maybe I'll leave the portaband set up as a small vert saw ... at least until I fab the stuff to use my "new" one that way . You make several points I hadn't considered . The "new" saw will cut a lot bigger stuff than the portaband or I wouldb't bother .

Reply to
Snag