New use for a riding mower

YOU found Paul Bunyan's little backup hatchet?

Congrats, Gerry.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

In spring the saturated upper few inches of soil that thaws during the day and refreezes at night can break loose and arch up like bubbles. It pulls free of boulders, leaving holes, but lifts the smaller stones up. I haven't observed if this phenomenon moves rocks up through absorbent black topsoil since my property doesn't have any. Rocks don't accumulate on the surface of the sandy glacial till here.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I'm sure my method would work for you. Have you tried it yet? Did it work? Eric

Reply to
etpm

My problem with that is that the ground only freezes so deep. 3' around here. So after a few hundred years of removing stones, you'd think that all of the ones within 3' of the surface would have been lifted out.

Also, in places that haven't been plowed, why isn't there a solid layer of rocks that have been lifted in the thousands of years since the glaciers left?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I don't think the process is as effective on porous sandy soil that wasn't worth plowing, such as my property.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I think I was looking at a commercial when I saw that guy on the side of the boat. I couldn't stop laughing.

Reply to
mogulah

My grandfather accidentally hit his old dog while mowing hay, when I was a kid. The dog was old and didn't hear well, but what a sad way to go.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell