Nice Little Hi-Lo Accident

Nice move bowels. Watch the driver bail out and RUN LIKE HELL!!

Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

Ouch!!!!

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Reply to
Gunner Asch

OSHA, cleanup, aisle 5.

I can't believe how fragile the shelving was. Perhaps it was overloaded?

I also can't believe how fast he got out of there.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

That's a really n ice one to analyze for cause-and-effect.

The shelf he hits collapses, causing the shelf near the camera to pick up in the air a bit, which it looks like causes a leg to detach or tuck under, or maybe a shelf to detach and knock a leg out of line when the weight comes back down on the near shelves.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 02:59:59 -0800, the infamous Gunner Asch scrawled the following:

D'ya think that shelving system was just slightly overloaded, or not built to OSHA standards, or both? (I'll bet both.)

I hope that driver isn't able to get another job driving a forklift in the future.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Looks like standard pallet racking. Probably overloaded high, and no locks installed.

Reply to
RB

If the uprights had been bolted to the floor, this likely would not have happened, or been confined to a single section....

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

I'd say that a FLT driver that has never even slightly nerfed something has probably not been driving a one for that long. Notwithstanding that, it looks like he was lucky, note how he falls over after bailing out.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Explain locks. We Have 3 or 4 foot baskets with 2000# of castings in these kind of racks.

That .gif scared the chit out of me.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

OSHA, cleanup, aisle 5.

I can't believe how fragile the shelving was. Perhaps it was overloaded?

I also can't believe how fast he got out of there.

Dave

Ya don't think that stuff falling from six levels up, even higher than the camera could cover may indicate overloading, do ya?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I drove for years in the Las Vegas conventions. Yeah, if you drive for long, you will screw something up. The worst thing, however, are hazards others cause you, and inattentive people that you may inadvertently hurt. The best times to really get stuff moving are periods of time when there are not a lot of people around. Some people are absolutely ignorant around equipment that can really hurt them.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

It doesn't look like the driver's fault. A slight contact can happen sometimes. But the weak shelf system took deliberation and ongoing lack of attention on the part of a superior.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Seems like there was a design error for the house of cards to fall!

Mart> Nice move bowels. Watch the driver bail out and RUN LIKE HELL!!

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Saw a forklift at Lowe's the other day. It was going out with a wide load that wasn't squared - that is the boards were spread left and right by a foot or two on each side.

I didn't see the load exactly - I was two isles away - just saw the top of the load and the forker working back and forth - got one side out now to go back and forth at an angle....

He got out - but a minute of reloading would have saved that.

The outside bay door (front) was a bit narrow.

I was concerned the stack would come apart...

Mart> Larry Jaques wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Or assembly -- the shelves may have been designed to be bolted to the floor, or otherwise fastened in ways that were just too tedious to carry out by the crew that put them in.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

hese kind of racks.

Essentially, any shelf or joint that can come apart if lifted, unweighted, etc. is 'unlocked'. For example, if you have a shelf on a rack, and that shelf comes off just by lifting, "that can be bad".

'Locking' keeps the joint from coming apart no matter which way the joint is loaded.

It looks like the far rack the forklift hits collapses, which actually raises the racks near the camera. Since these racks contain joints which can simply come apart when the rack is lifted off the ground from the top, when the weight comes back down on the legs some joint has come apart which was evidently critical to keeping the rack together.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Understatement is a dish best served in an understated fashion...

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

I would.

I think that that guy should go into banking.

Reply to
Ignoramus23604