Nomenclature

Hello, rcm.

Here are some related and inter-related terms, with some having pages defining them.

I have found these terms to be in limited use, and useful:

John (Johnny, Janos) Von Neumann: Hungarian mathematician, author of "Theory of Self-Reproducing Automata", which established an existence proof for self-reproduction with an example cellular automaton having

28 states.
Von Neumann machine: Either the shared program/variable memory model of linear RAM for a computer, or a self-reproducing machine, the first sense in much greater use than the second. Writing a self-reproducing program in the shared program/variable model machine is the one of the first famous computer hacks.
Von Neumann probe: A self-reproducing interplanetary probe.
Grey goo: Unlimited reproduction of a self-reproducing technology, consuming all available raw material and energy, producing nothing of value.
Autoproductive (factory, machine, or tool set): Capable of self-reproduction with the assistance of an operator, and so not a source of grey goo.
Also,
Auxilioproductive: A refinement of the word "autoproductive" proposed by Freitas and Kyle in "Kinematic Self-Replicating Machines," implying more clearly that an *operator* is required. An example of blacksmith's tools is given there.
Machine tool: A machine that removes material selectively, usually from a metal workpiece, producing a feature or part, which can be a useful finished object, a component of another machine, or a part of a machine tool
Production: The manufacture of objects or materials.
Mass production: The manufacture of useful objects using interchangeable parts which do not need to be modified to fit the final application; they need only to be assembled.
Reproduction: Usually reserved for use in biology, the steps of reverse engineering, producing, assembling, and finishing, as of an antique table or replacement part no longer available from a failed manufacturing concern or distributors.

Self-reproduction: Usually reserved for biology, the steps of reverse engineering, producing, assembling, and finishing a machine tool or array of machine tools.

Closure: Regarding self-reproducing kinematic machines, either matter, energy, or information closure; the ability to manufacture all that is needed for self-reproduction.

--------------

My own small contribution to the field, the FrankenMill, is mentioned in "Kinematic Self-Replicating Machines" and achieved partial matter closure.

At least one part, the rotary table support, had an additional use as a self-reproducing drill jig used for reproducing the configuration of cheap cast iron components (drill press, cross vise, collet indexer, and lathe chuck) that made up the machine. The machine has been productive. I built a replacement part for my dentist's denture grinding fixture with the FrankeMill. More than half the machine survives to this day. One copy was sold.

Some ideas about making measureable progress towards the goal of full matter closure in a machine tool with zero energy and information closure, and avoiding the grey goo problem are presented in a recent thread here in rec.crafts.metalworking titled "Finally, Nomenclature...."

Metrics for matter closure of machine tools are presented there.

Doug Goncz Replikon Research Falls Church, VA 22044-0394

Reply to
DGoncz

snip...

This is definitely one of the poorer articles in Wikipedia. I'd not read anything authoritative into it. The overwhelming meaning of a "Von Neumann machine" is simply a processor that can mix instructions and data in the same memory. And that's the overwhelming type of computer in existance today.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

You do know that you can go in and fix it, right?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Sure do. I've done work on several articles. This particular one would take a lot of time and resources to do right and I'm not up to it.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

--I see you mentioned "grey goo" but you left out "blue goo"; those are the nano-gendarmes that will (hypothetically) round up the grey goo. Heh.

Reply to
steamer

Jah! Mussen Sie *nicht* dem Kleinemachinestadtpolizei vergessen!

Doug :)

Reply to
DGoncz

I'm not overwhelmed by Jim's argument.

Can anyone, including Jim, suggest a term for the nomenclature list to use to describe a self-reproducing kinematic machine? I think "Clanking Replicator" is too obvious and that we should continue to pay homage to Johhny by using this term to describe *either* of his two (I say) related inventions. "Clanking Replicator" is an onomotopoeic self-defining term.

One way of thinking about the Von Neumann architecture is to think of it as the computer architecture option that allows rather than disallows self-modifying code, or executable data, which are intimately related to self-reproduction.

It also is the option allowing source code, compiler, and object code to be in the same bank of memory. Overwhelmingly, this is done with file handling these days. A LISP machine might be a counterexample to that statement, but who uses, or rather how many people use LISP these days? I *like* LISP, by the way....

Doug

Reply to
DGoncz

By using a level of indirection, pretty much any computer architecture can perform the equivilent of self-modifying code. Assume that your machine is a Harvard architecture with separate code and data. Further assume that your program can't modify it's code. Ok, well there's still nothing to keep you from writing a virtual machine that executes virtual machine code out of the data space. Then, of course, you can write self-modifying code.

So I just don't get the nexus between Von Neumann architecture and self-modifying-replicating machines.

Personally, I have no problem with your term of "self-reproducing kinematic machine".

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Jim has (indirectly) suggested "self-reproducing kinematic machine" to replace "Von Neumann machine" and as the acronym KSRM is in use for "kinematic self-reproducing machine", I will use that in the future.

KSRM = Von Neumann machine (of the kinematic type) = clanking replicator.

Perhaps in writing directed to the X audience I can use the Y expression:

X Y Mechanical Engineering KSRM Physics Von Neumann machine General/Popular Clanking Replicator