Normandy cemetery

Who takes care of the cemetery where the US soldiers are buried,France or the US?

Reply to
ED ROGERS

The US takes care of them through the American Battle Monuments Commission (check out

It's an excellent site for folks tracing their family tree (like me); I found a great uncle that was killed and has a marker in the Meuse-Argonne Cemetery. He was killed in WWI by machine gun fire, but his body was never found; he is mentioned on the Tablets of the Missing (Sgt Caro E. Freeman). If you have kin buried there, the commission will send you a free picture of the grave/marker (it takes a few months).

Dave Young

Reply to
Dave Young

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

American taxpayers. I'll provide cites if anyone is interested.

I'm thinking of the vets over there who won't be coming home.

Jim Kovar Vulcan, Mi

Reply to
Jim

And there are more than a few of them out there, Jim.

Very sobering to visit one. Never saw one in Europe, but I did visit a couple in West Pacific...Guam, Tinian and PI.

Altho I didn't know it until a few years later, the one on Tinian was about

1/2 mile from where my father-in-law was stationed during the war.

Mike

Reply to
The Davenports

I believe they cut it with a Locke mower.

Reply to
ATP

Reply to
Alan Black

There was a French TV documentary shown on Australian SBS Television last week which was about the cemetery in Normandy. The 70 hectare site is US territory and was given to the US after WWII. Two American ex servicemen manage the cemetery with local workers trimming the grass and keeping the place in good order, taking photos of wreaths and headstones and sending them back to relatives in the USA.

Other cemeteries are maintained by various countries - the Commonwealth Wargraves Commission cares for the British Commonwealth countries' war dead and in some instances dead from the Axis Powers who were interred in the same cemeteries.

The cemeteries from WWI are an awful sight - they go on for miles and miles and you just feel sick at heart seeing the destruction of so many lives in the "War to end all Wars".

Reply to
Roger Martin

Thanks for the posts.Before I die would like to visit these hallowed sites.

Reply to
ED ROGERS