Not really OT: Dishwasher Rack Repair

When I bought my dishwasher (great deal, used from Craigs List) several yea rs ago, I was almost certain that it had fiberglass racks. It doesn't. Ther e are several rust spots showing through the vinyl coating.

I've been down this road before, and replacing the racks is damned close to what I paid for the whole machine.

Any thoughts about the various goop they sell for recoating the racks? http ://goo.gl/y9mDfr is the amazon page that lists a bunch of them. I'm also th inking that treating with something like Loctite Rust Converter http://goo. gl/F8YUyP prior to coating would be a good idea.

Again, I'm open to all tips & suggestions. Of course, if I could convince t he wife that the only solution is to get a bunch of stainless rods and a TI G welder...

Reply to
rangerssuck

Sand off the bad areas. remove the rust and spray it with plasti-dip.

Once fully dried it can handle 250+ degrees with no issue. Use nice light coats.

Same stuff they sell as RackFix.

Reply to
Steve W.

You can weld stainless rods together in a couple of ways. One is silver solder, just be sure to avoid the silver solder with Cadmium.

Or you can kludge up a spot welder using Microwave Oven Transformers with a rewound secondary. Lots of web sites with info.

Both are a lot more work than reworking the rack you have.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster