o-ring preservation

Hi, I just picked up a large o-ring set, lots of sizes, at an auction. It has more o-rings than I will use in a long time. I have them sorted and stored in zip-lock bags. I dont want them to dry out and become brittle if I can help it.

Would it help or hurt to squirt some silicon lubericate in each bag?

These o-rings seem like your normal run-of-mill type. They were part of a bigger lot but it seems nice to not have to run to the store the next time I need one.

Is there a way to extend their life? What are the chances that the next o-ring I need will be in this partical kit:-)

Al

Reply to
Alpinekid

I have o-rings that are 20+ yrs old in plastic bags in drawers. I think the most detrimental conditions for them would be exposure to light, ozone and oil.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

For years I would have to buy new o-rings for the plugs when winterizing my pool. 4 years ago I covered them with vaseline and they still look and work like new.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Webb