'O' ring squash allowance

I need to make a brass plug a tight watertight but removable fit into a freeze plug hole in an engine block (fitting a block heater). The hole is 2.125". There will be about 7 psi behind the plug when hot and it will be physically retained by a toggle.

How much 'squash' do I need to build into an 'O' ring set into a groove in the plug to ensure it is watertight but also allow it to fit into the hole in the first place?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Hi Andrew

If it is a static seal, which this one sounds like, then you should aim for around 20% crush on the 'O' ring cross section diameter, and of course make sure the seating groove will permit this. I have a link somewhere to useful info about this, I'll see if I can find it for you.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Found the link, more info here

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Peter,

Excellent - just what I was looking for - many thanks

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

James Walker (

) publish an design guide ( with details of their products :-) )

With nitrile rubber 'O' rings I allow 0.75 of cord from groove base to hole side and 1.25 cord width for the groove width ( static applications ).

For this application if you can fit 2 rings of 1/16" cord a BS 033 will fit. you could also use a 3/32" cord ring, BS 138 should fit.

I find Mantek in Aldershot very useful, they hold a vast stock of rings, have a minimum order charge of only £ 2.00 and will post orders ( normally arrives in the morning post next day ). Tel 01252 343 335.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

message