make own wedding ring

My wife and I got divorced about 15 year ago for industrial reasons. well we had to get remaired for other reason. I couldn't bring myself to pay 100 for a wedding ring so I decided to make one my self. I took a piece of 316 stainless steel and drilled it out to about .8456 dia. I am not sure about the .0006 dia because of the tempeture , and I am not sure what the shrink for 316 is. Well I made it about .2" wide. I then machined two ridges along the edges of the ring about .03 " wide. The space in the center I knurled a x patern. The ring came out great. Am I a cheap basterd for making my ring? Remember I used 316 stainless steel, the best grade of stainless steel I could get. Don

Reply to
Don

Don, the question is not whether you're cheap or not, but: "why on earth get remarried?"

-- JR

Reply to
Jeff R.

I don't think you are a cheap bastard. Just don't try making hers.

Wes

Wes

Unless you're looking for an excuse to get into investment casting :-)

RogerN

Reply to
Roger_N

Back in my submarine days it was common to turn down rings from large nuts, usually stainless or monel.

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn Simon

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message news:JmvFj.67791$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

There ya go Don---------machine one of your nuts into a wedding ring. Seems kind of---well----------------

Reply to
BillM

Heck, why not? I've got a really nice (expensive) gold/diamond one somewhere. Told the bride before the wedding that the ring came off after the honeymoon. Welders, machine tools and jewelry don't mix. Haven't seen the ring in years, but I see her every day, it will be 25 years in December. And I can still count the years in base 10 on my fingers.

Bill

Reply to
BillM

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 16:15:37 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Vaughn Simon" quickly quoth:

Hey, great idea. Then it screws on so it can't get lost! ;)

-- Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. -- Albert Einstein

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Jewelry also doesn't mix with unfused electricity, so I also have never worn a wedding ring. I vaguely remember that we bought me a cheap wedding ring 30 years ago. Shortly thereafter, I tossed the ring in the jewelry box, but kept the lady.

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn Simon

I've actually made six out of commercial gold wire (various combinations of braided, knotted, plaited) joined with proper gold solder using a propane torch. Not too difficult, and very satisfying.

Reply to
newshound

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 11:15:37 -0500, Vaughn Simon wrote (in message ):

lurker chiming in... yeah, the monel was popular, but a lot of guys would get a half dollar coin and a tablespoon, and start peening the edge of the coin with the spoon, around and around the circumference until they got the ring diameter they wanted, then drill out the center and dress with a rattail file. tom k. ex ETN2(ss)

Reply to
tom koehler

I thought it was mainly quarters but looks like I'm wrong.

kfvorwerk

Yes, you are, but it's a damned good idea. good for you. Industrial reasons? I've heard of a lot of reasons for divorce but that's a new one. :-) care to expand on that?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler

Probably means, too much industrial stuff dragged home by husband.

Ignoramus16148