Odd Quote Response on 4140HT

I've been shopping around on some 4140 HT DCF, and I've got a couple quotes already. Some are to high. Some are far enough away that freight makes a significant difference. I've been trying to find somebody local (way to high) or atleast somebody in state with a regular truck run.

Anyway, its no big deal getting quotes. Just trying to find the right one. Not necessarily just on price, but proximity, stock, etc.

I just received a response that made me wonder:

********* Good Afternoon Bob, Would you mind sharing the end use for this material with me? *********

That was it. No quote. No response about whether they stock the size or spec stock I need. Nothing. It struck me as odd. So is there something special about 4140HT that they would need to know, or is the person responding just nosey?

Nobody else has asked what I plan to do with it.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Bob,

LOL Could be that your usage is potentially in violation of something. And as such he wanted to provide you with a legal alternative.

Or he is just wanting to start a relationship............. :-)

Maybe you should just lead him on and maybe get a free coffee.

Good Luck!!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Bob,

LOL Could be that your usage is potentially in violation of something. And as such he wanted to provide you with a legal alternative.

Or he is just wanting to start a relationship............. :-)

Maybe you should just lead him on and maybe get a free coffee.

Good Luck!!

Les

*********** Well I know of one metal vendor who is also a fabrication shop (many are), and has said to people out of the side of his mouth that every piece of metal he sells is a job he didn't get. His price for metal seems to reflect that. My first thought was the salesman was trying to get a lead on a client he could steal from me. Then I considered that 4140 is one of the metals commonly used for firearms parts, but its pretty easy to get. You can buy it on-line from half a dozen sources. I was just trying to keep my business as local as I can. So far my best price from a stocking distributor is out of Oklahoma. LOL Even including freight to Yuma.

I did get a local source who said they could get a "master plate" at a petty good price, but its bigger than I can lift or cut. Their cut prices were outrageous. Even if I bought the whole plate.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

It will not be me, but if you post who sent you that response, someone might be able to tell you more about that vendor.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I don't know. Perhaps they have some other 4140 variety (eg 4140 QT or PHT) and wonder if it would work for your application?

Reply to
James Waldby

"Seamless Tubing sizes used in the oil and gas industry for above ground and down hole applications. "

It's a roll bar for your moped, right? 6", right?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It will not be me, but if you post who sent you that response, someone might be able to tell you more about that vendor.

*** I didn't want to name them for two reasons.

I might "need" to do business with them sometime in the future. If they or somebody they know reads RCM I might find myself buying from a hostile vendor. They haven't done anything for me to put them on my NEVER list.

I didn't want to bash or seem to bash them if the query turned out to be innocent.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I don't know. Perhaps they have some other 4140 variety (eg 4140 QT or PHT) and wonder if it would work for your application?

**** I have to be honest. That never even occurred to me. I guess a lifetime in business has made me to cynical.
Reply to
Bob La Londe

"Seamless Tubing sizes used in the oil and gas industry for above ground and down hole applications. "

It's a roll bar for your moped, right? 6", right?

Close. Skid plates for my electric go-cart. LOL.

What I am looking for is Qty 4 - 1 x 6 x 144 4140 HT DCF flat bar. 144 is standard bar stock length from atleast two vendors. It?s the largest piece I can easily handle (lifting and cutting), and has two dimensions close to the end product. Larger pieces tend to cost less. This is about double the metal I need for the job, but I would like to have some on hand for smaller one off work.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I'm not a contractor; but I'd agree with what your gut is telling you. They're phishing for info with an eye for finding out who your customer might be.

Step 2 - if they liked the job, then they'll under bid you.

Reply to
Bill

Oh, flat bar. Yeah, I know what you're making. Shurikens. Big, nasty shurikens, like this:

Got black oxide?

Reply to
Larry Jaques