Why are 12v battery chargers to unreliable

I own a large amount of equipment, and some of it, such as my home generator, is supported by battery maintainers.
Overall, reliability of those has been pitiful. They are sold by
"features", "microprocessors", "smart charge modes", have numerous LED status lights, etc.
The reality is that most of them fail in a year, often in moderately cold weather or for no reason at all. Some stop working, some display blinking lights and do not do their job, some drain batteries when they fail etc.
I am personally not even asking for much, just a weatherproof device that keeps the battery mostly charged and not overcharged. Unfortunately, I have not been able to locate anything useful that could survive being out in the weather.
The one item that I had a lot of success with, is a solar battery charger that I use on my rough terrain crane, that one seems to be a champ and the crane is always charged. But the 110v devices are abysmal.
Would anyone recommend some weatherproof charger, the "dumber" and less sophisticated, the better. Thanks
On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 20:56:07 -0600, Ignoramus30995

Have you used a genuine "battery tender" ?
Have not hrard of any issues with them - a lot of friends using them for years on their "toys" - and they won't boil batteries. Might have to put them in an enclosure of some sort - other than possibly marine chargers they ALL need protection, or they WILL fail.
Generalky "the dumber the better"
On 11/10/2017 09:20 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

Deltran Battery Tender? ? I have. Exactly the problems that ig described. All of them. Trash.

I've had good luck with the little 800 mA potted Deltran, 1 outside on a rock. I have 3 in service, 1 failure in 5 years. I don't live in snow country.
Pete Keillor

Also "smart" chargers, "genius" chargers, etc

How do you measure battery capacity?
Has it ever successfully restored a sulphated battery?
-jsw

I had a Guest charger and it failed in a few years. This is what I am trying to replace right now./

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 17:12:08 -0600, Ignoramus15309

I lost some batteries to a Guest. Now my onboard charger is a Minn-Kota. 10A on 3 channels. It's worked well for about 6 years now, just replaced the start battery last year.
On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 20:56:07 -0600, Ignoramus30995

Because far too many people want more power, quicker charging, AND cheaper pricing. Mfgrs overload power transistors, use the cheapest suppliers for everything, and have hacks design the circuits. Then these same people fail to hold the manufacturers to any warranty claims. "It was cheap and I tossed it; lesson learned." But they didn't learn it since they let the mfgr off without any angry feedback.

Yeah, isn't that fun?

Build one into a Penguin case with weatherproof leads?

Why not stick with what works? A portable solar panel is fairly cheap to put in the truck fulltime, then deploy it on the roof when it sits.

I'm still using my dad's old 5A un-weatherproof louvered metal box.
--
America rose from abnormal origins. The nation didn't grow organ-
ically or gradually from indigenous tribes--like, say, the French

I meant to add Schumacher Sure Fire 300, 3A, 6/12V from the '60s. Original clamps, cord, analog meter, and everything.
--
America rose from abnormal origins. The nation didn't grow organ-
ically or gradually from indigenous tribes--like, say, the French
On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 22:02:52 -0800, Larry Jaques

Sadly, Shumacher has done like everyone else and gone to high feature low quality Chinese-built crap.

Not quite everyone. Ig, maybe look for one of these?
http://www.usamadeproducts.biz/electronics-battery-chargers.html
4 left in the US.
--
America rose from abnormal origins. The nation didn't grow organ-
ically or gradually from indigenous tribes--like, say, the French
On 11/11/2017 11:03 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Glad to see Dual Pro on that list. A Dual Pro Sportsman Edition is the one that's been keeping my sump pump batteries happy for the last 5 years or so. They claim that series is "Fully Waterproof". I can't vouch for that since the whole purpose for mine is keeping water _out_ of my basement.

I looked at Associated, their "maintainer" is made in China.
On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 22:29:27 -0600, Ignoramus16514

Their KS-401 was "MADE IN USA of US and Imported Parts". Hmmm...
--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her

"MADE IN USA of US and Imported Parts" means they applied their label, printed in Mexico, an a Chinese Charger and put it in a box printed in India.

Nothing specific on that product - but that's about how loose the regulations are.
Larry Jaques wrote:

Put your favourite one under an upturned mortar trough for outdoor use.
--

"I'm a doctor, not a mechanic." Dr Leonard McCoy < snipped-for-privacy@ncc1701.starfleet.fed>
"I'm a mechanic, not a doctor." Volker Borchert <v snipped-for-privacy@despammed.com>

This is what I will do, I will go with the Pulsetech solar charger.
By the way, Pulsetech's 110v chargers get the same kinds of bad reviews like "failed in a year".

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 17:25:25 -0600, Ignoramus15309

I've got an old Canadian Tire charger I've had for decades, as well as a Shumaker smart charger I've had for at least 10years. It is a bit overly picky and accuses some good batteries of having a shorted cell when I know from there performance they definitely do not.
I also have a Sears DieHard charger given to me by a friend when he accidently left it in the "boost" mode too long and totally fried the ammeter. I ordered a new one from a charger repair depot for something like $17 and now it is as good as new.
I also have an assortment of 24 and 36 volt chargers floating around. The old ones seam to live forever, while the newer ones have a ways to go - - - -