odd threads

Greetings All

I'm working on building a forge and have run into a problem. I was given a hand crank blower I've mostly got rebuilt and working. The problem is some of the screws are odd. I'm trying to find the following

1/2 X 12 X 4 1/4 X 18 X 1 1/4

When I give the sizes to hardware stores and machine shops they respond with "What was that?" or "You don't have that."

Any help???????????????

Thanks

Reply to
rpayne

1/2-12 was pretty common before UN threads were introduced. I've single-pointed a few 1/2-12 cap screws when working on old woodworking machinery.

I've never run across 1/4-18, but one quick fix would be to open up those holes to 5/16-18, assuming you've got enough material to do so.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

If you need a screw or bolt made anyone with a screw cutting lathe and a Machinery's Handbook can make what you need. Alternatively you can drill out the tapped holes and re-tap to modern standards as previously suggested. What ever is easier is best.

Reply to
Kent Frazier