Smith tools for sale-Vermont

The following tools are for sale as a lot. No parting out or piece sales. Buyer must pick-up. First offer over $500 takes it.

- 150 lb anvil (English style, very good shape)

- 4" leg vise (good shape, needs some mounting hardware)

- 5" leg vise (good shape)

- home made portable forge with champion hand crank blower. (blower is worn out, but could possibly be rebuilt)

- 14 sets of tongs ( various stages of wear... half of them are well rusted farrier tools.....a few are tool makers tongs in very good shape)

- 3 hammers, some punches and files

- 2 hardies

- laddles, coal bucket, and 2 good stumps

Reply to
JULES GRIFFING

Where in Vermont? It's a long drive from one end of the state to the other.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Hoo boy! That's Funny! From one end of the state to another is a long bicycle ride, not much of a drive. What is it, 180 miles or so the long way? Less than a tank of gas from anywhere to anywhere and back inside the state.

:-)

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

I don't believe Rutland is too far from Southern Vermont. Depends upon what you intend to carry the anvil home with.

Gryphon

Reply to
JULES GRIFFING

Since I start within spitting distance of the Mass. line, I basically never go to Burlington (3+ hour drive one-way - 129 miles, but no fast road). You obviously drive that far to get your morning coffee, and then go 300 miles the other way for the donut to go with it :-) - DWYL.

Depends on your gas tank. I'd suck a 20 gallon tank dry going from one end of the state to the other with no return trip. Or get just about as far on 4 gallons, depending on the vehicle and tank. Neither would come back without filling (or switching to the other tank). Don't think I'd want to strap an anvil to the bike, much less a forge.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

lawrence ,

guess your not interested.

gryphon

Reply to
JULES GRIFFING

I won't go quite that far for coffe and a donut, but I have, at times, put better than five hours in on the road to go to an auction on the hopes of getting what I wanted. That's each way, I'll have you know. :-)

Lesse now. My beat up and badly tuned 86 Mazda pickup averages about

550 km per tank (about 340 miles). It's currently getting lousy mileage, too. On a 20 gal tank, my figurin' puts 18mpg as the magic number to be able to get anywhere and back, inside the state. Apparently your truck runs as bad as mine, but is bigger. :-)

Kind of funny, really, how small the planet is when you think about it.

Yup!

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Yup. 87 V33 Chevy (4wd, crew cab, 8 ft bed, 1-ton springs/axle with single rear tires). Can put a ton to a ton and a half in it, but it weighs over 3 tons empty. At least it's the small-block V8; I dread to think what the mileage would be with a big one. I'd like a diesel, though I gather that in this vintage I'm better off without it, and I can't afford a newer one anytime in the foreseeable future, so I just keep this one running...

Reply to
Ecnerwal