Odd wear on tires

One of the folding 4' x8' kit trailers. It had several trips from S. Calif to Salt Lake City loaded to the gills without this kind of wear.

Recently, been towing a honda CBR1000, about 475lbs. 3-4 thousand miles. Major wear on tires. ONLY change was installation of oil filled hubs.

??????

thanks

gary

Reply to
gary556

The axle may not be square with the frame and hitch. Pull the trailer and have someone follow you and see how it is tracking.

John

Reply to
John

Forgot to mention, BOTH tires look like this.

Reply to
gary556

I used to live in the Salt Lake Valley. I'm of the opinion it's your tires rebelling, having been forced to go to Utah.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Have you jacked it up recently and checked for wheel bearing play?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

The other thought I had is did you bend the axle assembly from overload / bad roads?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

First off, I don't think Steve will appreciate you Bogarting 715K on his server for one pic. If you had bothered to read the guidelines for the dropbox, he specifies 50K or so. Also, the pic is seriously under exposed. Couldn't you AT LEAST post process it before submitting, instead of forcing EVERYONE else to? As to the tire wear, this is called cupping, which results from a toe-in or toe-out condition. JR Dweller in the cellar

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
JR North

Good questions from Wes. I'm wondering if it has a tendency to sway back and forth a little bit. If your tow vehicle is big/heavy you wouldn't really notice much and would keep going. I've followed people towing trailers like this for miles and miles... it is hard on tires.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

How about a better picture (macro, tripod, floodlighting, force the cheapass flash 'off') and some idea of the orientation of the wear pattern (towards or away from hub). As others have noted, it sort of looks like the tire isn't square either to the road or the centerline of the trailer.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Thanks to all w/suggestions. Bearings not sloppy, Frame/axle not bent.

Tires were 8 years old, and loosing 4-5psi per week. Been sitting and pressure was 21-22.

New tires, pressure @ 62 seems to have solved it.

thanks

Reply to
gary556

Is that 62 Olde Englishe pounds per Olde Engishe inch, pressurewise?

If so, seems about 30 PSIG on the high side.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Nope, that's actually 60psi, as specified on the sidewalls Tyres(bg!) are pretty floppy until pressurized.

gary

Reply to
gary556

Roger that. Thanks! --Winston