Painting Whitewalls On Tires

Any decent hobby acrylic will do.When I was into car models I used plain old testors flat white.It usually took about 3 coats,

Reply to
eyeball

I would mask and airbrush/rattle can. You're right about off-white rather than white-white.

----Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

Theres some things going thru my mind,having a steady hand,which paint to use,not making it totally white for realism,etc.Thoughts?.

Reply to
teem

I used off white if I wanted a dirty or used look,and for those tires that had an ivory finish.For new,clean tires I used straight white.Looked great!

Reply to
eyeball

Will a mask work on the tire material?,was worried about the maskig film laying on the rubber,& howto cut a decent circle,Thanks all!.

Reply to
teem

Try using a coin as the pattern if one is the correct diameter. Tape shouldn't create too much of a mess if you don't leave it on long.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Reply to
frank

As mentioned above, make yourself a mask using drafting equipment or other suitably sized circular items. You're better off doing two light coasts to prevent bleedunder. Pactra makes a line of paint called Racing Finish. It's for Lexan car bodies. It works great on vinyl tires. It's also the last paint in the Pactra line. That, or most acrylics sprayed through your airbrush ought to do fine. In my experience, enamels never dried properly. hth The Keeper

Reply to
The Keeper

As mentioned above, make yourself a mask using drafting equipment or other suitably sized circular items. You're better off doing two light coasts to prevent bleedunder. Pactra makes a line of paint called Racing Finish. It's for Lexan car bodies. It works great on vinyl tires. It's also the last paint in the Pactra line. That, or most acrylics sprayed through your airbrush ought to do fine. In my experience, enamels never dried properly. hth The Keeper

Reply to
The Keeper

Is any rubbing/cleaning off the tire required?.This is for #3 DeLorean from BTTF,the one w/the 50s era whitewalls,thanks again!!.

Reply to
teem