Off topic- how to make pills?

When I was a kid my Grandma would put jars of Horlicks Malted Milk Tablets in our Christmas stockings. We loved 'em then. Recently, I saw them for sale and boy, were they expensive! As I was licking the spoonafter putting some of the powder on a dish of ice cream it tasted just like the ones Grandma gave us. So, I was thinking it might be fun to press up some myself. And since I'm picking up a 60 ton press friday I think it'll have enough pressure to make tablets about 5/8" diameter and 1/4" thick. Anybody here know? Thanks, Eric

Reply to
Eric R Snow

JR NORTH

Eric R Snow wrote: I'm picking up a 60 ton press

The ferrite factory I worked in years ago used pill presses to make pill sized "green" (unfired) ferrite cores. They resembled a tiny piston engine, with a (about ten inch) flywheel and connecting rod. The piston whould go up, the powder would enter an exposed port, the piston would come down, compress the powder, and open a gate to let the pressed core (pill) slide down a ramp. The 60 ton presses were used to make the big cores.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Horlicks was the sponsor of the Lum and Abner show for many, many years. Everytime I listen to them, I get an insatiable taste for malted milk. Damn, just thinking about it has done it again! ;^)

Reply to
Ken Finney