Old Bridgeport fate

I have an older round-ram with a J-head that I no longer need. It was bought from a "junk-yard" by my predecessors and it probably should have stayed there but it was affordable. It had an M-head for many years until they acquired the J. One can do good work but has to work around the lean and wiggle in the table and knee...the head is fine. I learned a lot on this old iron and I learned a lot that I wouldn't have on a perfect machine, but I have no emotional attachment and want it gone. what should I do with it? I'm thinking eBay and local paper to sell the whole thing or should I just sell the head? It would ship easier and represents most of the value, doesn't it? How much should I ask?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Give it away free to a good home and save yourself the packing / shipping hassle. Graigslist or freecycle type thing perhaps.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Offer it at a fair price for just the head, and give them a discount if they take the whole machine?

Datapoint: I recently got a Wells-Index model 45 (roughly Bridgeport sized) in very servicable condition with some tooling off Craigslist for $500. Not a steal but certainly a bargain (Metro Boston).

The seller commented he had had several decent name brand lathes that he couldn't sell for anything approaching their value, but by parting them out on eBay he about tripled what he would have gotten otherwise.

Perhaps you could sell the head, offer the rest to go with it, and if it doesn't go with, sell it seperately as "worn out, no head, no reserve, local pickup or buyer arranges all shipping" starting an $0.01 or so.

Or perhaps take it to the next step and sell off all the handles and such one by one. --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford

FWIW, he has another mill up now:

glyford

It ought to make a GREAT drill press for someone, maybe even you! I talked to a machinist/gunsmith down in KY some years ago who had relegated an old V mill to that duty. They could use it for non-precision work and not worry too much about damage. Where is it? My son could probably use it. Would you email me off-list Pete Stanaitis, snipped-for-privacy@baldwin-telecom.net western Wisconsin.

--------------------------------------

Tom Gardner wrote:

Reply to
spaco

Sell it on Craig's list.

is free, and locals will pick up your mill.

Reply to
Clark Magnuson

Nope, the table is NOT perfectly perpendicular to the quill...well, it might be in certain positions. I'm in Cleveland.

Reply to
Tom Gardner