What to see near LAX

I'm going to have to spend about 8 hours between planes at Los Angeles airport in about a week or two. Is there anything that would interest a rec.crafts.metalworking person near there that I could catch a cab or bus to ?

Tom Miller

Reply to
Tom Miller

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 20:01:17 +1000, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom Miller" quickly quoth:

Or the L.A. Subway?

Maybe check out their machine shop and engine room? (I haven't seen it. I lived 100 miles south.)

While you're in Long Beach, go to the beach. It's teeny weeny bikini season, Mate. Be sure to set your watch alarm to remind you to get back on the plane in time, though, eh? ;)

-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|-

Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks Larry, good idea!

I'll pass on the teeny weeny bikini show though. At my age, I'm like a dog that chases cars. Would know what to do if I caught one.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Miller

How about this?

Its about 20 or so miles from LAX

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams

Reply to
Gunner

When planning your excursion, be sure to account for the traffic. On average, you can expect to do about 20 miles per hour.

The trip to the Queen Mary (offered by someone else) will take you about an hour to get there and an hour to get back (+ or - depending on the time of day) in a taxi. On a bus, figure 3 hours and several line changes.

On the "subway", to get the 20 miles to "downtown", you will get on the Green line, transfer to the Blue line and end up on the Red line to get to Hollywood & Vine (a tourist trap). The trip will take 90 minutes or so each way if you don't miss any connections.

Gary

Reply to
grice

suggest you rent a car, it's hopeless otherwise: food - Tarasco - Rosecrans and Highland - about 8 minutes south - good antidote to airline food, you won't be able to spend over $8 and eat it all

Surplus - several places along hawthorne blvd and other nearby locations. Reliable tools is about 45 minutes away if not rush hour,

2.5 hours in rush hour. several other places within 20 minutes - do a quick search for Los Angles AND machinery surplus. There must be 100 or more places of all types.

you can go about 5 miles north to the Marina Del Rey and look at boats you can go about 14 miles north to the Santa Monica Pier and see one of the oldest carousels still in operation

Petersen automotive museum - about 45 minutes each way, on Wilshire and Fairfax

you can just go west (well, south actually) to the beach

Bill

to contact me, do not reply to this message, instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com

Reply to
William B Noble (don't reply t