Australia Sugar Cane Ry Help

I just returned from my first trip down-under - a two week cruise with an extra week of touring. Part of a tour out of Cairns was a late evening trip to a zoo near Palm Cove. About halfway between Cairns and Palm Cove, the bus crossed several recent and serviceable grade crossings over what appeared to be 2 foot gauge rail lines. Then at one round-about, I saw a small yellow car tagging along behind a moving train of open rack cars. My first impression was that it was some sort of caboose with a yellow strobe light, but as the bus got close at one point, it became clear it was cab-less 0-C-0 side rod locomotive pushing at the end of the train. I was more and more surprised as the bus passed the train and we passed what must have been a 70 or 80 car train of small rack cars moving along at a quite respectable pace. As darkness was falling, we finally overtook the locomotive which appeared to be another yellow 0-C-0 side rod unit, this with a small relatively open cab with three guys squeezed in.

Googling, I found a lot of info on these sugar cane lines at the site:

confirmed the use of slave units on these lines, but some questions remain:

Do the Mossman operations mentioned on this site extend as far south as Palm Cove, or was this a more local plantation line? Can someone provide a link to a photo of the locos I saw - my attempt from the tour bus did not come out?

Thanks in advance, (or should it be "Good on ya, mate!") Geezer

Reply to
Geezer

The LRRSA (Light Railwy Reseach Soc. of Australia) should be able to give you all the good guts on the sugar cane line that you saw, it's many years since I was up in Q'ld., so am not up to date on who runs where there now. Regards, Bill.

Reply to
William Pearce