Moving to Texas

I'll be moving to Texas from Indy this month. I have a small incomplete (are they aver complete) layout in my basement. There are no basements in the Waco TX area. Any ideas on what the locals do with their layouts?

Some possibilities are: using a spare room (not likely to be possible) using part of the garage. Building an outbuilding.

I'm gonna miss that basement.

Reply to
Dana Miller

It is mostly whatever fits your lifestyle and wallet.. All three of your choices are viable for Texas, but be aware that the layout space will HAVE to be equipped with hvac, or else you will have two very short modeling seasons per year.

fl@liner This tagline has been certified to contain no political rants.

Reply to
fubar

Our club acquired several years ago a layout that was built in a 10 x 50 ft trailer. It was featured in the Armstrong book on how to build a layout and several RMC issues in the mid to early '60s. The reason for it was just what happened to you, the owner had to relocate in the '50s for work. He had a layout in the basement, all scratch built that he had to destroy. So, he made sure that is he moved again his layout would go with him. And it did twice. Depending on your desire the trailer could be smaller. Just a thought, I have never heard of anyone trying this since.

R> I'll be moving to Texas from Indy this month. I have a small incomplete

Reply to
Ronald Gardner

Dana Miller, I've got mine in an out building. No matter where you build the layout you may be able to get by without heat or just a space heater but you will want air-conditioning. Depending on the neighborhood restrictions you can get old trailers or mobile homes cheap especially if they are beat up and gutted out. Since you are just moving to Texas you might want to see if you can take a little time this summer to visit Texas State Railroad in East Texas as it looks as if it will be shut down next season. Also when you have a chance come up to Dallas to visit the Age of Steam Museum and check out Discount Model Trains in Addison (North Dallas). You can also ride the Dart Trains the TRE and the McKinney Street Trolley. Welcome to Texas! Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

You have my sympathy :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Having lived in Dallas for 17 years after Wisconsin and Minnesota, I second that :_<

As for your immediate problem: it is possible to find houses with basements but they are very rare. Air conditioning is an absolute necessity for what ever space you decide on for your layout.

Reply to
richard schumacher

I was told that about Southern California. Don't believe it. A good real estate agent will usually know where to look for basements.

Tony

Reply to
tonycynor

On 5 Jul 2006 08:50:54 -0700, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and snipped-for-privacy@joimail.com instead replied:

Under the house?

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Bet David Koresh wished he'd had one. eh?

Reply to
Steve Caple

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Or vice versa, as you noted. I've always wondered how much of his own BS Koresh beleved, or if he was entirely and consciously just in it for playing god and having a harem. Only a difference of degree between him and Billy James Hargis and the rest of the whole sick televangelist crew.

Reply to
Steve Caple

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 17:33:14 GMT, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Bruce Favinger" instead replied:

Shut up, moron.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

What a quick wit. It appears you are capable of using the word moron along with two other words at the same time. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Steve, I'll bet he really believed in his notions. Many of these guys even the ones separated by a few degrees from Koresh probably start out knowing what they are doing but eventually rationalize themselves in to deep conviction and believe. Self brainwashing is enlightenment to them.. I think this happens in other ways too. Take Ken Lay. While he is regarded as an arch villain and did a tremendous amount of damage he was at one time a good, hard working, trustworthy, well liked and respected man. Certainly a person who knew right from wrong. With the fantastic success of his original pipeline company he may have convinced himself that he could never fail. When faced with failure it was to much for him to accept. It was probably beyond money and greed, it cut him so deep. I think he knew full well what he was doing but as time went on he rationalized that he only acted honestly and in the best interest of all. He probably died believing he did nothing criminal and that he was falsely judged. Koresh when down in flames thinking the same. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 00:27:28 GMT, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Bruce Favinger" instead replied:

There's not a better word ever created to describe you, mate. You rant on about political discussions here while you swan off creating the very same posts you decry.

In short, you are a moron. Deal.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Ray. I've been involved in political threads and have made said some very un PC political things. Show me a post where I where decried political discussion or ranted about the presence of political posts on RMR. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

In short, although it usually makes me wince a little to see it, I have come to the point that I would second the Aussie designation of you as a "f--k wit", except I'd loby to change the second word to "wad", wit being beyond you.

Reply to
Steve Caple

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 13:43:52 -0700, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Steve Caple instead replied:

And your ability to read and write beyond you.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 17:26:03 GMT, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Bruce Favinger" instead replied:

Then you admit to being a moron. Well done.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad