Moving to Texas

I'll be moving to Texas from Indy this month. I have a small incomplete (are they aver complete) layout in my basement. There are no basements
in the Waco TX area. Any ideas on what the locals do with their layouts?
Some possibilities are: using a spare room (not likely to be possible) using part of the garage. Building an outbuilding.
I'm gonna miss that basement.
--
Dana Miller

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 02:59:03 -0400, Dana Miller

It is mostly whatever fits your lifestyle and wallet.. All three of your choices are viable for Texas, but be aware that the layout space will HAVE to be equipped with hvac, or else you will have two very short modeling seasons per year.
fl@liner This tagline has been certified to contain no political rants.
Our club acquired several years ago a layout that was built in a 10 x 50 ft trailer. It was featured in the Armstrong book on how to build a layout and several RMC issues in the mid to early '60s. The reason for it was just what happened to you, the owner had to relocate in the '50s for work. He had a layout in the basement, all scratch built that he had to destroy. So, he made sure that is he moved again his layout would go with him. And it did twice. Depending on your desire the trailer could be smaller. Just a thought, I have never heard of anyone trying this since.
Ron Gardner
Dana Miller wrote:

Dana Miller, I've got mine in an out building. No matter where you build the layout you may be able to get by without heat or just a space heater but you will want air-conditioning. Depending on the neighborhood restrictions you can get old trailers or mobile homes cheap especially if they are beat up and gutted out. Since you are just moving to Texas you might want to see if you can take a little time this summer to visit Texas State Railroad in East Texas as it looks as if it will be shut down next season. Also when you have a chance come up to Dallas to visit the Age of Steam Museum and check out Discount Model Trains in Addison (North Dallas). You can also ride the Dart Trains the TRE and the McKinney Street Trolley. Welcome to Texas! Bruce

Dana Miller wrote:

You have my sympathy :-).
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Having lived in Dallas for 17 years after Wisconsin and Minnesota, I second that :_<
As for your immediate problem: it is possible to find houses with basements but they are very rare. Air conditioning is an absolute necessity for what ever space you decide on for your layout.

For the Indy thing or Waco?

But (wait for it)... it's a dry heat...
It does look like the subdivision I'm going to buy in does allow you to build an detached garage. Space for woodworking and trains. Its always handy to have the RAS close at hand when doing benchwork.
We were talking to a builder who pointed to the detached shop next door and quoted the $32k price. My wife about fainted. I think I could do most of the work of building an outbuilding and save some of that cost.
--
Dana Miller

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 00:51:05 -0400, Dana Miller wrote:

Better yet, a detached garage with a huge basement, one perhaps even bigger than the above ground part (do one of those living deck roofs over the excess to the above ground footprint, sort of a huge raised bed vegetable garden) . . .
--
Steve

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 00:51:05 -0400, Dana Miller

Just a thought here, but does Jim Walters do garages?
fl@liner This tagline has been certified to contain no political rants.
Dana Miller wrote:

I was told that about Southern California. Don't believe it. A good real estate agent will usually know where to look for basements.
Tony
On 5 Jul 2006 08:50:54 -0700, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and snipped-for-privacy@joimail.com instead replied:

Under the house? -- Ray
Basements in Texas are good for model trains, storage, furnaces, hot water heaters, and F4s. I know you guys in Indiana can get really bad storms. Since your moving to Waco you will still get them just more often. Bruce

layouts?
On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 22:05:28 GMT, Bruce Favinger wrote:

Bet David Koresh wished he'd had one. eh?
--
Steve

I think they were determined to toast those loonies no matter what. I doubt a bunker would have helped Koresh and his faithful. They'd have all done themselves in Jim Jones style anyway so events were just more or less accelerated. Not far away from Waco is Bush's ranch near Crawford. Another compound of the bazaar. Wonder what's in the old shed we see when they broadcast from there? The area has an interesting history. Back in the old days when they we building the railroads everyone wanted one to come through their town. The folks in Crawford however were so hard headed and mean that even the railroad was intimidated and gave a wide berth to the town. Eventually they got a railroad. Now unit trains full of BS originate near Crawford headed for Mexico where they never seem to have enough. Also the area around Waco was the second stomping grounds for the Tonkawa Indians. The Tonkawas were a tribes of cannibals. Originally from the coast they ate fish, other Indians and the occasional spicy Spaniard that might wash up. As the coast became more settled the newcomers got tired of the Tonkawas making castaway sandwiches out of them. They were ejected from the region. For some reason they moved up around Crawford and Waco initiating the weird regional attraction for unusual people. Apparently the Tonkawas did not change their menu and ate one to many of the local residents. They were sent to Oklahoma that at that time was simply a smorgasbord of indigenous people. They even have what's left of a little town up there named after the Tonkawa. Apparently they did not have a taste for their new neighbors the Poncas so they switched to Spam and Spaghetti O's. At least that's what a guy who claimed to be a Tonkawa was eating for lunch once many years ago when we were working in that area. I had been told that all the Tonkawas had died out. He liked to get high sniffing the oil in the tank batteries, so maybe he lied. I asked him if any of his ancestors ate anyone from Waco. He kind of squinted his eyes at me and said he didn't think so but that he had a sister who lived near there who was a good cook. Bruce

water
On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 17:33:14 GMT, Bruce Favinger wrote:

Or vice versa, as you noted. I've always wondered how much of his own BS Koresh beleved, or if he was entirely and consciously just in it for playing god and having a harem. Only a difference of degree between him and Billy James Hargis and the rest of the whole sick televangelist crew.
--
Steve

Steve, I'll bet he really believed in his notions. Many of these guys even the ones separated by a few degrees from Koresh probably start out knowing what they are doing but eventually rationalize themselves in to deep conviction and believe. Self brainwashing is enlightenment to them.. I think this happens in other ways too. Take Ken Lay. While he is regarded as an arch villain and did a tremendous amount of damage he was at one time a good, hard working, trustworthy, well liked and respected man. Certainly a person who knew right from wrong. With the fantastic success of his original pipeline company he may have convinced himself that he could never fail. When faced with failure it was to much for him to accept. It was probably beyond money and greed, it cut him so deep. I think he knew full well what he was doing but as time went on he rationalized that he only acted honestly and in the best interest of all. He probably died believing he did nothing criminal and that he was falsely judged. Koresh when down in flames thinking the same. Bruce
On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 17:33:14 GMT, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Shut up, moron. -- Ray
instead replied:

What a quick wit. It appears you are capable of using the word moron along with two other words at the same time. Bruce
On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 00:27:28 GMT, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

There's not a better word ever created to describe you, mate. You rant on about political discussions here while you swan off creating the very same posts you decry.
In short, you are a moron. Deal. -- Ray
instead replied:

along
Ray. I've been involved in political threads and have made said some very un PC political things. Show me a post where I where decried political discussion or ranted about the presence of political posts on RMR. Bruce