Need help with justification

During the 1950s, were grain elevators present in Southern California (in the area surrounding Los Angeles), or were the majority of Californinan grain elevators in another part of the state?

Reply to
Danny TB

Anywhere that there were/are chicken or egg ranches, there will be a grain silo by the tracks. Chickens are voracious eaters although they are fairly efficient at turning that grain into eggs and meat. The ranch itself may be miles from the grain silo but trucks (around here, double trailer trucks are used and the bottoms of the trailers look like Airslide hoppers) take the grain to the particular ranch. One silo near me has 4 bins and always has at least 5 or more cars on the spur that seem to be changed several times a week.

Bob May

Grain elevators existed then a some still exist to this day to supply the necessary ingredients for some of the bakeries in the area.

Reply to
Rick Jones

Danny:

If any grain is shipped out of LA then there's bound to be at least one BIG grain elevator at the LA docks. I would venture to guess that this cargo was handled in the '50s.

If you're in the area, I'd suggest a trip to the local libraries. Even finding out what crops were grown there could help. If, say, the cultivation of figs was a major economic factor, go to a library and do some research in their obsolete ag science texts (all libraries are replete with these) on the methods of fig growing. You'll soon see what kind of facilities were used.

Cordially yours: Gerard P.

Reply to
pawlowsk002

You might find these links interesting.

Eric

Danny TB wrote:

"During the 1950s, were grain elevators present in Southern California (in the area surrounding Los Angeles), or were the majority of Californinan grain elevators in another part of the state?"

Reply to
newyorkcentralfan

The majority of the agriculture in California is in the, so called, Inland Empire. The Central and San Joaquin valleys. North of Sacramento you can find lots of grain elevators. There used to be a large one in Stockton seaport, I think it was torn down fairly recently and replaced with a cement export facility.

- Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse