Moving to Texas

I've been watching but not partcipating in this thread.

Mark Newton, Proctor, Terry Flynn, all from down there and now Haddad.

Is it that they are in the midst of winter, cooped up indoors and have too much time on their hands?

Is it taht they are standing on their heads, (G), and have an excess of ht blood flooding their brains, overwhealming any sense they might otherise possess?

Enough!

Good bye Ray.

You are the weakest link.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

You've been called. Show your hand or quit. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Hey Jim, Haven't heard from you for awhile. How are things going? I found a picture of a post card the other day that had a painting of the Erie depot at Galion Ohio on it. When I saw your post I remembered that you are interested in the Erie. This depot is a really neat structure and I thought you might just have some pictures or info on it. I know an Erie depot is along way from being a TM prototype but it would not look out of place. Here's a link to the post card.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

For the Indy thing or Waco?

But (wait for it)... it's a dry heat...

It does look like the subdivision I'm going to buy in does allow you to build an detached garage. Space for woodworking and trains. Its always handy to have the RAS close at hand when doing benchwork.

We were talking to a builder who pointed to the detached shop next door and quoted the $32k price. My wife about fainted. I think I could do most of the work of building an outbuilding and save some of that cost.

Reply to
Dana Miller

Greg Proctor is from New Zealand, another, entirely different, country. Jim, I often read of how little some Americans know of the world beyond their borders - is this another example?

Ray Haddad is an expat American, according to his previous posts. So much for *that* bit of stereotyping...

Again, I often read of how little some Americans know of the world beyond their borders - in the midst of our winter, I'm wearing shorts and a teeshirt, the current temperature here is 74 degrees, and there's blue sky and sunshine. Maybe tonight I *might* put on a warmer shirt. How's the weather there in winter? ;-)

Reply to
mark_newton

Pig's arse. Bruce has never "ranted" about or "decried" political discussion on r.m.r. You've got the wrong bloke.

Cheers,

Mark.

Reply to
mark_newton

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 02:08:49 GMT, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Bruce Favinger" instead replied:

You've shown yours and you are a moron. Deal with it.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 14:57:05 +1000, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and mark_newton instead replied:

Of course he has. Often.

Cheers back at ya, mate! Bruce constantly disallows any disagreement with his rants. Either you agree with him or you are not allowed to argue with him. That's a fact. That's what I refer to when I say he decries political rants. Except his own.

Don't try and defend him, mate. He's not worth the effort.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Mark, Sounds like a mighty fine winter. I wish it was like that here right now. The AC unit in the train shed is being strained to the max already and its going to get hotter.Worse it been so dry for so long the shed has shifted a great deal. A window busted and the doors had to all be reset. Even though the layout is built along the walls its mostly self supporting so the bench work is ok. Still I've been looking at some steel buildings I could put on a slab and finish out a area for the trains. How's your baby boy? Hope all is well with the family. Bruce.

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Ray, While what you say about my not allowing disagreement with a political rant or comment may be a stretch you could find ways to support that allegation. But that's not what you said. You said that I decried or complained about the political posts on RMR. Now as far as this new meaning you have applied to your statement it's not possible for me to have the control to not allow someone to disagree with me. Are you so intimidated and cowed that you feel dis-allowed by mere words? I seriously doubt you are. It appears that since you can not support your original statement you are now looking for a way to justify an inaccuracy. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Better yet, a detached garage with a huge basement, one perhaps even bigger than the above ground part (do one of those living deck roofs over the excess to the above ground footprint, sort of a huge raised bed vegetable garden) . . .

Reply to
Steve Caple

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 06:48:05 GMT, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Bruce Favinger" instead replied:

That's the same thing, moron. Besides, I changed my mind. My rules. You're a really DUMB moron.

You do NOT allow for dissenting opinions on your idiotic political rants and therefore you remain a moron. Deal.

Now, do you want to discuss model railroading or continue to be a moron?

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Just a thought here, but does Jim Walters do garages?

fl@liner This tagline has been certified to contain no political rants.

Reply to
fubar

Ray, I rather talk trains than endlessly butt heads. So what do you model? Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 17:46:45 GMT, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Bruce Favinger" instead replied:

Bless you.

I model N; Pennsy, Penn Central, New Haven - all my own mix of eras that are absolutely non prototype. I like the way the roadnames look together. I grew up in CT where all three were something I could view. I remember working steam coming past my house at least once a week.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Yes, much better. I'm originally from north of Bethlehem PA. The first railroads I can remember were the Lehigh Valley and the Pennsy but too late for steam or at least I don't remember seeing any. When we moved out west I did have the good fortune to see the very last days of steam in Wyoming. I also developed an interest for narrow gauge trains. About six years ago I started looking into old railroads in north central Texas where I've lived for many years. At first it was just a side interest to see what I could dig up but now I'm modeling a shortline in HO called the Texas Midland. Semi Prototype. After reading quite a few posts from down under I started looking at the NSWGR. Neat stuff. Have you ever looked into modeling some of the Australian railroads? Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 23:18:38 GMT, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Bruce Favinger" instead replied:

Their trains are still strange looking to me. At least the consists are. Besides, my modeling of familar childhood memories comforts me. I do enjoy train watching when I see one and have actually walked across bridges where interesting yard layouts happen to catch my eye.

The local Perth public transport system has a wonderful train that moves with fabulous regularity along several corridors that criss cross Perth and enhance the bus system. It's a beautiful train, too.

Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Ray, It looks like Perth has a very good public transit system. Our DART system trains got a very late start and do not cover the area near as well as TransPerth. They are really nice trains though and basically service the main North / South corridor of Dallas. The system is slowly being expanded.

.

DART connects with the McKinney Ave. Trolley. This is the one we like to ride the most.

Dart also hooks up with the TRE that moves passengers between Dallas and Ft Worth.
When I moved here in 1980 none of this was in existence. Commuter rail and public transportation down here is way behind, poor or non existent. Pretty much if you live in Texas, even Dallas or Houston and don't have a good car or truck you are stuck The trains here basically move people from downtown to giant parking lots along the routes because chances are there is no bus or train that will go real close to where you live. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 03:48:28 GMT, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Bruce Favinger" instead replied:

I love a pretty train. My favorite is the San Diego trolley system. Bright red and lots of glass.

Dallas is so flat. Must be easy on energy.

I like the Perth TransPerth system so well I may build it into my layout. Now, to go and scout a place to put it. Sigh . . .

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

North Texas' publictransit is so far behind because of the way the area developed. There are very few areas that hve the population density of the northern and eastern parts of the country. The whole area grew up with the automobile, and public transportation was pretty much ignored, except for the downtown areas. The trollies and more modern street cars then lost out to the busses. The busses never were very popular with other than low income riders, which doomed them even more in the peneral publc's eye. Things are changing now, and ridership has passed all expectations, especially on the North Central corridor.