Moving to Texas

From the south we drive into Oakcliff and catch the train there. It seems to be fairly full most times we've gone. How about the TRE, are they getting good numbers too? Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Definitely confirmed for the Houston area. I moved here from Southern California several years ago. There's only one light rail line, going from downtown to Reliant Stadium. It's perhaps the most useless link they could have built compared to where light rail really needs to be built to alleviate traffic congestion. Houston is about at the point that San Diego and Los Angeles were 2 to 3 decades ago when they began their Metrorail lines. I've ridden both of those systems. It's going to be a very long time before this town catches up.

Reply to
Rick Jones

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

: It's going to be a very long time before this town : catches up. : Assuming that there is any interest in catching up.

Austin voters approved a light rail line from Cedar Park to downtown Austin, but Crap Metro is in charge, so I expect it will be as overbudget, underutilized and unreliable as everything else Crap Metro "manages".

Years ago, Crap Metro sent a talking head out to where I work, and attempted to convert us to the wonders of public transportation (ie, busses). For some strange reason, nobody seemed interested in the presentation.

Of course, Austin is being surrounded by tollways, so there is no reason for public transportation, right?

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

Bruce Favinger wrote: : : The trains here basically move people from downtown : to giant parking lots along the routes because chances are there is no bus : or train that will go real close to where you live. Bruce : Amazing how the simply act of coordinating bus and rail lines seems to be far beyond the various agencies responsible, isn't it?

When I lived in S. Florida, the commisioners responsible for "Tri-Rail" were at a loss to explain their lack of rider ship. For some reason, nobody saw anything wrong with a rail line (FEC trackage) that took people from less than desirable areas and dumped them in either downtown Miami or somewhere in Palm Beach.

Stupid line didn't run to the Miami airport because the cabbies got their femanine undergarments in a bunch over the lost reveune, and there was zip, zero, nada coordination between the tri-rail pols and the various bus pols - each was way too jealous of "their" turf, I expect.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

I've never ridden on the TRE except for the opening (free) weekend. We've been away from N Texas for over 2 yrs now, but the TRE parking lots at Bell and Irving were always full when I drove by during the week at working hours. The lot(s) at Bell were pretty good sized too...

fl@liner

This tagline has been certified to contain no political rants.

Reply to
fubar

Or you could stop at Joe Lee's on the channel at Clear Lake Great seafood, even my wife ate it!

fl@liner This tagline has been certified to contain no political rants.

Reply to
fubar

Thanks for tip. We'll check out Joe Lee's one night the next time we are down there. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

And then there's the Kemah Boardwalk. Of course, everything there is owned by Landry's, so if you don't care for their restaurants...

Reply to
Rick Jones