old SEARS air compressor info

Hello. I've been given a Sears air compressor,2 cylinders, maybe 15+ years old. Needs valves. Anyone know who really made it? Sears has no parts(too old). It's in really,really good shape,so I want to fix it. Thanks for any help. Jay

Reply to
j.b. miller

do you have a model number on it?? if so then go to sears web site:

and look to the upper left and check off PARTS.. another page comes up and then you put the model number in and it will show the diagram of the compressor..... mighjt help locating parts at another place... i went to a local pump repair place(guy had lost of air compressors there that he was working on... he got me the parts i needed.. on my old sears air compresser it had the manufacturer's name on a metal plate brazed onto the frame.. it was Devilbliss.......... would never had gotten that info from sears or anyplace that i could have located... You state that its in really, really good shape? well you might do better just getting a new pump and putting it on the old machine??? or with the prices of air compressor always coming down you might just save you old one for parts or trying to fix the valves in the old one by grinding the valves to make it work and it will not cost you anything?????

Reply to
jim

In my opinion a 15 to 30 year old Sears (Devilbiss) is still a better compressor than anything you can buy today. Mine was still going strong after 30+ years when I sold it last year. Over those years I probably replaced the reed valves 5 times. A really simple task.

Any good sized air compressor shop should have the correct replacements. Pattons is the big guy here in Charlotte. I think they have shops in other cities.

Hank

Reply to
Hank

[ ... ]

Grinding the valves? I think that most of these use reed valves, so just replacing them may be all that is needed.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

....>

i believe the valve assy can be removed from the top, it's under any filter media/assy, sometimes just a felt pad. take it to Graingers, or measure it and see if it matches anything in their catalog.

or do what many rcm's would do, _repair_ the assy. --Loren

Reply to
Loren Coe

i have one liks this

but its covered with green plastic and the label fell off. i assume mines newer. can i get valves and gaskets for it?

Reply to
Erik Litchy

That was made by Campbell Hausfeld. I doubt the company would be any help, but try talking to a real compressor shop. You can always cut your own gaskets from gasket paper and I've heard of folks using feel gauges for reeds.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Graingers have gaskets and more for these compressors. The sold them under the Speedaire label. I belive there was only two variations of bore and stroke so the parts are pretty easy to sort out even without model or serial numbers. I bought parts for mine there a couple of times. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

is this the correct part? sure looks like it.

Reply to
Erik Litchy

great url, everything is there, only 12bucks(!). the reed valves alone probably cost the same. however, it does look like the head has to come off to service the valves. i have never done this, but am always amazed at the puny felt filter... ymmv, --Loren

Loren Coe