Old air compressor help

Just picked up a 2hp, belt driven Sherry air compressor (150L, I think). Didn't come with a manual and looks about 30 years old - anyone know where I could get a manual from?

Cost me =A350, which I think is a bit of a bargain as it looks very well made, aside from some cosmetic rust

Reply to
Robin

A manual for an compressor? Does it have so many cranks and dials?

Ni-SCNR-ck

Reply to
Nick Müller

Not many - but not sure what oil level it should be filled to and why the pressure switch seems to leak air until you turn the motor off... also need to get a regulator thing but they're not expensive from MachineMart or similar...

Reply to
Robin

Isn't there a glass? Normaly oil has to be filled up to the middle of it. If there is none, oil often has to be filled up to the inlet hole for the oil.

Don't know this specific pressure sensitive switch. But they all have a release valve that removes the pressure in the tube between compressor and reed valve of the tank. This is for making the starting easier. Normaly they open when the motor is stopped. So it might be a different construction or defunct.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Never mind a manual, when was the receiver last hydraulic tested or even checked (e.g. by hammer)?

Reply to
Charles Lamont

Um... can I test it with a hammer myself? Don't bite my head off. It seems to hold pressure OK but I don't want it to explode...

Robin

Im not qualified in this, but from the pics I would be wary. a firm tap with a toffee hammer should 'ring', but that is only an indication that it isnt totally shot. given it holds pressure it isnt likely to be totally shot. Is there a diving shop near you? they have to test cylinders on a regular basis,so should be able to offer better advice, or test it. a bolier tester from your local club might also be able to help, after all its only about traction engine sized... There is a lot or energy stored in a compressed air tank, be careful, if in doubt... dont.

Dave

Reply to
david.sanderson

Only if you know what to listen for. I don't.

I would want to do a hydraulic test.

Reply to
Charles Lamont