Ooops

This is what happens to a crane when the pointy part gets heavier than the big part:

Jim

jim rozen

Interesting photos. I was involved with an equipment lift into the 4th floor of a Singapore. Before the lift day all licenses of the equipment being used was submitted as well as licenses of all the operators. On the work day the inspector showed up with a large notebook of all the submitted paperwork, and physically checked the serial numbers of the trucks, booms and made each operator show their lenience which was checked the book. Then we were allowed to proceed with the job. According to the local lead man this was SOP. Each truck and boom receives an annual inspection and they checked that the correct boom was on each chassis.

Reply to
larry g

I really hate when that happens ;o)

Reply to
Dominick Fiumara

they must of left out the bolts that were susposed to hold it down. ha ha

Reply to
Thompson Family

If nobody got killed in this mess, it's a miracle! Somebody screwed up big time, for sure.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

By the way, what were they lifting that was so heavy, and where is that payload now? 5 floors deep in the middle of the building? Or 50 feet deep in the street?

Actually, it looks like the operator may have extended the boom too far without proper support of the truck, but that is just a guess. The last picture shows a detail of the outriggers on the end that collapsed, but I can't make out any sign of what happened there.

By the way, what are the yellow things sticking out the side of the building, labeled "Preston"? Apparently, Australian construction technology uses some different methods than we use in the States.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Haha, I was just laughing over these pics when my boyfriend looked over my shoulder. He immediately noticed the guy in bottom right-hand corner of pic number 1. Lol. Looks a little put out.

chem

jim rozen wrote:

Reply to
chem

I'm no expert, by ANY means, but I studied what I could. I own a grove TM12T truck mounted crane from 1963.

Your two primary failures are tipping, and structural collapse.

I don't see enough from the photos to be able to identify what happened.

When you have THAT much stick extended, wind can get you into a pickle pretty fast...

Reply to
Jon Grimm

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

Easy to do... we had to use a 150 long ton crane to lift a half ton A/C condenser off a roof because of the extension required by the position on the roof.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand