Ordering of wrench opening sizes?

etc. ...

You _can_ get them in those weird combinations. But if you buy a set, they are normally linear, not overlapping. At least here. I personally would toss such an overlapping set, never had one or never was given one such. YMMV

Maybe they sell them only abroad? :-))

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Next time you buy spanners, buy these:

They are the nicest to touch, the lightest to get and the toughest available. I _love_ them! And you get them in usefull combinations. Like a 18 / 19 mm spanner. :-))

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

What happened to the 15 and 16 or did they intentionally leave that out of the set to intentionally screw you up when you needed that size?

Reminded me when I needed a 9 mm allen wrench for the oil plugs in a machine I was overhauling.

I had to grind my own out of a 3/8 allen wrench.

John

Reply to
john

For some inane reason the closing ")" at the end of the link to "Chai" I posted above didn't make it into the hyperlink. You may have to add it to your browser address bar yourself or cut and paste the whole thing.

Computers.....Arrgh!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Can't help the knuckle "dragging" of some of us. The darn pavement is awfull hard on the knuckles.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

There ARE 18mm wrenches. They are rare, but they are required for some things like the sway bar links on some jeeps. Mac and Craftsman both make them. NO ISO Metric fastener uses an 18mm head, which is why they are GENERALLY not included in a set.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 08:55:19 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Steve B" quickly quoth:

I have an 18mm wrench in my MAC Tools front end ratchet set. Chebby used them on their front ends for awhile.

They're rare, though. I don't know why.

------------------------------------------- Crapsman tools are their own punishment

Comprehensive Website Design ======================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 14:10:16 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, clare at snyder.on.ca quickly quoth:

Ahem, we were talking about dragging while WORKING.

-------------------------------------------- -- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. --

Comprehensive Website Development ============================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

45/64" is almost the same, just use that one instead.
Reply to
jtaylor

MY OFFER: If anyone can come up with a device/idea that keeps a mechanic from scraping their knuckles, please contact me immediately. I believe that I can arrange financing, and will do the usual 60/40 split. (I get 60)

Steve ;-)

Reply to
Steve B

SS "Shark Suit" gloves.

When may I expect to recieve my first "royalty" check?

Reply to
RAM³

john wrote in news:K4ednQJuMa0OOf3YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@nni.com:

As clare noted, there are no ISO standard fasteners that use a 15 or 16 mm head. The standard hex sizes are: 6 mm (M2.5), 7 mm (M3), 8 mm (M4), 10 mm (M5), 13 mm (M6), 17 mm (M8), 19 mm (M10), 24 mm (M16), 30 mm (M20), 36 mm (M24). For fittings, you additionally need the 9 mm, 12 mm, 14 mm and 22 mm.

Reply to
Anthony

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 21:50:10 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.hfx.andara.com quickly quoth:

Yes, that's yet another very basic size of wrench.

-------------------------------------------- -- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. --

Comprehensive Website Development ============================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 14:09:03 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Steve B" quickly quoth:

I found two ways. First, I gave up Crapsman tools during the late 70s, their worst design and manufacture period ever. Second, I started wearing gloves for most all wrenchin' work.

I no longer sacrifice skin and blood to the searz gods.

This is a Good Thing(tm).

-------------------------------------------- -- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. --

Comprehensive Website Development ============================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Rear disk brakes on the 2002-2006 Pick Ups use them on the caliper bolts.

Reply to
Steve W.

No M12? The machines I work on are loaded with M12 allen head cap screws. It seems strange that they don't have a hex with the same thread size.

John

Reply to
John

"Hey fred, how dos a REAL mechanic do this? Could you show me?"

Reply to
Tom Gardner

That would be why my fingers had chunks ripped out of them today, eh? I was using a damn crescent wrench, which has no offset. There's blood all over the damn place before you realize you've sprung a leak!

Reply to
Carl McIver

I thought the standard (jap anyway) is8mm(m4) 10mm(m6) 12mm(m8)

14mm(m10) and 17mm(m12) Odd metric sized bolts (3,5,7,9,11,and13) are non standard as are fractional metric size bolts.

You could almost totally rebuild a Toyota car in the '70s and '80s with 8,10,12,14,and 17mm wrenches - with a few of the larger sized required for transmission and differential work.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Speaking of crescent wrenches ... there is a new version which adds a vise-grip kind of tightening. As a final fine-adjustment after the usual coarse adjustment:

Although I was skeptical, I got one 'cause of some found money that I needed to spend. It works very nicely! It solves the real problem with crescent wrenches not staying tight on the nut/bolt. It grips tight and stays that way. I'd like a couple more in 6 & 8" sizes.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt