Ordering of wrench opening sizes?

When I bought a tool set, the 18mm wrench was missing. So, I thought I should fill in the set.

Man, oh, man. They get just about as much for one wrench as they do for a set!

Like that a lot with fill in tools that get lost in the cracks.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

According to Jeff Wisnia :

Well ... this is a guess only -- but I suspect that the nut on one end and the bolt head on the other end are often consecutive sizes, so if you hat consecutive sizes on opposite ends, you would need two sets to hold the bolt and turn the nut.

The minor fact that you already *have* two sets is beside the point -- not everybody does. :-)

Enjoy DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 04:14:58 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Carl McIver" quickly quoth:

Gee, whoda thunk?

Only Shadetrees use Crescent wrenches for service duty. 6-point socket+ratchet and 6-point box-end wrenches are the professional's mainstays;first choice. Open end wrenches and 12-point box wrenches and Crescents are lowly, more dangerous backups.

-------------------------------------------- -- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. --

Comprehensive Website Development ============================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yet in some applications zero offset on the box end makes for a wrench that can be used in places where conventional ones wouldn't even come close to fitting. The first time I used one of these on what used to be a particularly difficult job I almost wet myself it was so exciting :)

Mike

Nick Mueller wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@yadro.de:

Got them in-stock direct from Germany in our general stores. They also come with all of our new machines from Germany. (We are a Germany based company.)

Reply to
Anthony

Where are ya? I've seen both linear and overlapping in British made, German made, American and Japanese, as well as taiwanese/chinese and Brazilian. In Canada, East Africa, and West Africa.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

And just where are all the "metric is so much better" folks now. What is all this crap about " STANDARDS " :-) :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Germany. Don't get me wrong. You do get them linear and overlapping here. But if you buy a set, it is linear. And I have never seen one using an overlapping set.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Not sure how or if this plays into the grand scheme of things, but several years ago, 7/16" bolts in automotive applications often had a 5/8" head on the bolt, and a 11/16" hex on the nut.

If the 5/8" and 11/16" were on opposite ends of the same wrench, it might be a little difficult....lol!!

Some of my older wrenches are 5/8" - 3/4" and 11/16" - 19/32" combinations.....raising yet another question.

Where was the 19/32" wrench ever used? Mine's over 40 years old and the

19/32" end is like new!

I don't see it as much these days, but I STILL have 5/8" and 11/16" hex nuts for 7/16" bolts in my hardware inventory.

Reply to
*

Used on some Amphenol Tri-Ax cable ends

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

My set goes from 3mm to 32mm with no breaks. The 16mm is especially useful for

5/8" heads :-)

Personally, I stick to BSF, BSW and BA where I get the choice.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Weren't Gedore tools made in Germany at one time? I was sure the Gedore sets we had in Zambia were made in der faderland. They were overlapped sets. Wiha metric wrench sets are linear on the small sizes and overlap from

20mm up. It's possible that was the case with some of the gedores too, but I remember 5/8 and 3/4 on one and 11/16 and 13/16 on another. Generally the small sizes are more likely to be linear, except in the case of "ignition wrenches" where I'm sure there were also some overlapped sets.
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

And the 19/32 oddball is 15.1mm, if you are going the other way.

To each his own, but I've had enough experience with the old brit stuff that needed BSW that I'll pass, thank you very much. I got rid of my last BSW tools must be thirty years ago. Now I have a good excuse not to work on them any more.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

On 5/16 United States Standard nuts and bolts. Those 25/32 and 31/32 wrenches are for 7/16 and 9/16 USS fasteners. I dunno when the USS was replaced with the American Standard, but it was more than 65 years ago.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I NEVER get rid of tools. You never know when you might need them. I recently worked on my wifes Metro (small rather un-inspiring brit car) and the engine mounts were threaded M12 but the nuts were not a metric socket size. AF sockets didn't fit either. It had to be a socket as they were recessed. Finally found a 7/16BSW fitted perfectly. Since then I've found a few other cases where major manufacturers have their nuts made completely non-standard.

In answer to the OP's question, I like having a large difference between the ends of a spanner. That way you can tell the difference easily by eye. Working with a 24/25mm spanner would guarantee the wrong end gets used and the bolt gets chewed.

More difficult to spot is the difference between imperial and metric adjustable spanners. That can be a real PITA when it matters.

John

Reply to
John

Ned Simmons wrote in article ...

I'm finding fewer and fewer opportunities to say this, but that was before I was born!.....just barely, but before I was born nonetheless....lol!

Reply to
*

Yes indeed. I always seem to pick up my 200mm Crescent in place of my 8 inch one. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

And isn't it annoying?

You all think I'm either joking or mad but one of the pointless gems I learned many years ago when the UK started to go metric was that there really is a difference. Two of my fitters were working on a job and one adjustable spanner wouldn't quite fit a bolt. The other adjustable did fit. The only difference was that one was a 10" and the other a 250mm. It seemed that one opened slightly wider than the other to take in the next standard size in the series.

John

Reply to
John

Add to that list Asia, South America, Antarctica, South Africa, North Africa, Europe, Pacific Islands, New Zealand, Australia, and really everywhere but the USA :)

Reply to
Mike

At the moment, I have on my desk, a bolt (and I question this terminology) which is 3/8" x 16 tpi. the head is shaped like a flair nut with a flair diameter of ~11/16" and across flats of 5/16". The threads are rolled and 1/4" long on a total length of 7/16" under the flat surface of the flair. I picked this item up in a parking lot the other day and currently have it mated to a hex nut which measures

11/16" across flats. I wonder what the torque spec. would be for this combination. SWMBO says I have too much time on my hands! Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller