OSHA adhesive rant

Time was that most adhesives on the market told you three things: how much to use, setting time, solvent/thinner/debonder. In some cases where the application method had something special about it, more information on that aspect. Really useful information. Now you look at a tube of your favorite adhesive and there's nothing on the label except OSHA terrorism statements in two or three languages. They tell you not to sniff it, eat it, extrude it into various bodily orifices, bake with it, drink it, apply it as anti-fungal cream, light it, use it indoors, abuse it as an exotic/erotic lubricant, use it in the sun, flush the residue down the drain... and for God's sake, when you want to dispose of the empty tube, to be sure to wear a hazmat suit and call your local EPA representative for instructions. As I read one piece of OSHA BS after another, I could easily become convinced that merely opening the package is sure to kill me by some hideous disease at some time in the future, deform my unborn child, or make me pregant if I am a male of the species. None of us, it seems are safe from these thermo-nuclear level adhesives: not us, our spouses, children, pets.. and if we are to believe them, even our long dead forebears might be subjected to all kinds of indignities in their graves from our small dabs of glue. So, with this long preamble, I want to know:

  1. What's the cure time for GOOP? 2. What's the solvent for the residue?

and 3:

Why hasn't anyone written a short handbook to all the common, and specialized adhesives that list the important stuff we need to know, instead of the B.S. that pencil-necked lawyers want to threaten us with?

Boris

Reply to
Boris Beizer

Dunno, sorry. But:

Check out "Pocket Ref", little black book sold at some hardware stores. If it's not in there, contact the folks who publish it for consideration for the next version. All sorts of similar good info in there (type of automotive paint to use in which situation and what solvents, etc), so it's in the area of the book if not in there already.

Can't find mine, I'm moving to a new desk so all my crap is packed.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I don't know, but likely not what it should be due to VOC regulations from another government nazi agency.

It doesn't matter since you can't buy it due to more regulations.

Because the DHS would threaten them for compiling data that only a terrorist would need.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 19:35:01 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Boris Beizer" quickly quoth:

Straight, Plumber's, Shoe,

Butter knife (to shear the smear from the mass) and a finger to remove the residue. ;)

Excellent question, Boris. Y'mean other than these non-short handbooks:

(I love the one $750 copy! AS IF!)

(subscription)

Well, there are these shorties, too:

OK, I'm tired. ;) Google the rest under "adhesive chart".

======================================================== Was that an African +

or European Swallow? + Gourmet Web Applications ========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 19:35:01 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Boris Beizer" quickly quoth:

Oops, I forgot these:

24-72 hours. I've found it completely cured overnight.

--snip-- According to Abby from GOOP Central (1-800-693-GOOP or

1-800-767-GOOP), there are three recommended solvents for GOOP. They are acetone, toluene and naphtha. Acetone will do a good job on GOOP that has not fully set. Toluene is a more powerful solvent that will remove fully set GOOP. Naphtha, a solvent used in dry cleaning, is recommended for removing GOOP on clothing.

--snip--

======================================================== Was that an African +

or European Swallow? + Gourmet Web Applications ========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

(I love the one $750 copy! AS IF!)

I was about to mention that book. I've got a copy I'm sure I didn't pay more than a couple dollars for - how's $699.98 sound? .

It's actually pretty good. I have the 2nd edition (1977). Amazon also shows a 3rd edition, out of print as well. I'll bet it could be had reasonably on ebay with a little patience.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Not exactly adhesive related but here is what a Cal-Osha guy did to our sign shop once. Some disgruntled ex employee told his brother in law that we were using and dumping toxic chemicals.At this sign shop we made lots of cheap signs that were MDO plywood painted with gloss latex house paint. We used gloss because the the vinyl graphics stuck to the glossy surface and it was fast and cheap. Occasionally we used alkyd enamels and I used various types of laquer-like screenprinting inks. Solvents used were mainly water, mineral spirits and some special solvents for the screenprinting inks. Osha guy comes around for a surprise inspection. Nothing really out of the ordinary but he starts to cite us for having partially open cans of latex paint on the shelves.Says the VOC's are a hazard. I ask him how that is because as soon as I roll that stuff out on a sheet of plywood and set it out in the sun to dry absolutely all of those VOC's are going to off gas into the wind. So it was OK to have maybe 20 sheets of plywood drying outdoors but a can of paint with the lid ajar is a big problem? He just left. You can probably thin Goop with MEK or MIK or toluol or xylene.

Reply to
daniel peterman

I bought my latest copy at Harbor Freight. There was a big stack on the counter, by the register.

ISBN: 1-885071-33-7; UPC: 769344-00049-6; EAN: 978-188507133-0 (soft cover) ISBN: 1-885071-36-1; UPC:769344-00052-6; EAN:978-188507136-1 (anniversary edition hard cover)

Sequoia Publishing.

The web page lists a section on glues and solvents.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Even if it doesn't have _this_ info, it's great to have at hand. 3 times since I packed up my desk (long story, very much my decision) I've wanted to have it available.

Hm. Did I say "crap"? I meant "stuff". And yeah, the new desk isn't at the same company, thank $DIETY.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 01:18:35 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Michael A. Terrell" quickly quoth:

Hey, I'd forgotten about the adhesives/solvents chapter in that!

Mine came as a Handyman~In~Your~Pocket from

by Thomas J. Glover

--snip-- We carry two pocket-sized reference books, the popular Pocket Ref and the Handyman In-Your-Pocket.

A. The Pocket Ref, first published in 1989 and now in its third edition, has 768 pages, including wood beam strength for 76 species, weights of materials, element tables, floor joist spans, concrete mixtures, solvent properties, perpetual calendar ? and that is just a tiny fraction of it. It even tells you how to calculate the gallons per minute coming out of a pipe or hose by measuring the arc of the discharge. It has several sections not included in the Handyman book ? Automotive, Physical Constants, Electronics, General Science, Mine, Mill and Aggregate, and Surveying and Mapping, and new sections on First Aid and Weather.

B. The Handyman In-Your-Pocket, at 768 pages, covers much of the same ground but at least 60% of it takes a somewhat different direction. There are extensive tables relating to fasteners (a lengthy section on Screws and one on Nails, Spikes and Staples), Anchors (for drywall and concrete, fully illustrated), Drafting Symbols, Sheet Metal, Plate and Wire, and comprehensive rafter tables. Published in 2001.

Depending on your needs, you could choose one or the other, or perhaps both. If your information requirements tend to a scientific direction, choose Pocket Ref; for more of a construction flavor, you might prefer Handyman In-Your-Pocket. With their 3" x 5-1/2" softcover format, they are handy to carry or store and they make excellent gifts. A. Pocket Ref, 3rd ed. 92W68.11 $10.95 B. Handyman In Your Pocket 92W68.15 $10.95

--snip--

-- It's a sad day when you find out that it's not accident or time or fortune, but just yourself that kept things from you. -- Lillian Hellman

Reply to
Larry Jaques

... Try the following link:

This is an interesting web site that may be helpful added to your favorites list.

Reply to
Alan Haisley