Adhesives question

Maybe off subject, but many in this group will have much practical experience of adhesives:- I have an instrument which has a thin card scale which is attached to a brass plate- made in about 1960 ish. The card has come away from the brass- what adhesive would they have used when it was made? I have tried simple paper glue ("Gloy" type) - used to be known as "gum arabic" - fails . Possibly could use pva type glue but I don't think it will stick to metal very well and if I get it wrong it will be all over the back of the card and won't come off easily- card needs to stick closely to the brass to stop things getting jammed - the extra glue layer may make things too thick. Any thoughts?

Reply to
Ledz

Don't know what they would have used at the time, but I would probably go for something like UHU or Bostick clear.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

You could try spray adhesive or Evostik... if you apply in a closed room you won't care about the results!!!

For a stronger bond, Araldite...

Reply to
Robin

I suspect shellac. Chances are they'd have needed a glue that allowed for some repositioning of the card once it was in place, and shellac is used in my trade to stick pads ( with card backs ) into instrument key cups ( made of brass, typically ). There are two ways of using it; either as a 'hot melt' glue, whereby the brass and the shellac are heated - and the card applied to the molten film of shellac; or as in a solvent, whereby the shellac is dissolved in meths ( aka French Polish ). Takes a bit of practice to get the mix right though - you'd need to experiment before you committed your card scale to it!

The advantage of using shellac is that, with the aid of a simple press or some weights, you'll get a nice flat joint. If you use a contact adhesive you might not quite get the card flat on the brass.

Are there any residues left on the back of the card? If it looks brown/orange then it's a fair bet they used shellac in the first place.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

I have used spray-mount adhesive in the past for card type clock dials either onto brass or steel dial pans and have had no problems. It sticks, it's thin and it's even and easily applied - what more could one want!

Mark

mark.howard10

Reply to
Ledz