OT - '03 A3 bolt not hardened?

A friend of mine asked if I could get on the internet and find out the serial #'s for a Springfield '03 A3... not all the serial #'s, mind you, but he claims there were a few manufactured without a hardened bolt He just seemed to remember hearing or reading at one time about a few #'s manufactured with the non-hardened bolt, and wanted to see if his is one of those. Personally, I can't fathom why anyone wouldn't have the bolt hardened because of the pressures involved.... am I wrong, or is he pulling my leg? Gunner, this type question seems custom designed for you... thanks in advance, Ron

Reply to
RKurtz

Never heard of an unhardened bolt and interchangeability of parts would probably make the serial number moot.

The "Low Number Springfields" receivers suffered from inaccurate heat treatment and may be unsafe to fire. These numbers are;

Spfld Arsenal Below 800000 Rk Is Arsenal Below 285507

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Springfield Armory, prior to serial number 800,000 used a single heat treat method on the receivers, that made the receiver a bit more fragile than those afterwards, which were double heat treated. Im not aware of any that have failed under normal usage, but many have been found cracked. "Springfield issued a "safe statement" that allowed as how all rifles with a serial # higher than 800,000 IS a double heat-treated receiver, although there was a gradual phasing in of the double heat treating process starting somewhere in the 750,000 range. "

Rock Island contacted to build a number of M1903 rifles as well during this time period. "The Rock Island "safe" number (double heat-treated receiver) was set at 285,507. "

Any other rifles manufactured by winchester etc etc were so made at a later date, and ustilized the double heat treat for the later models such as the O3-A3 etc etc

This has nothing to do with the bolts btw. I watched a buddy remove a barrel from a low serial number 03, and the receiver busted, even though the procedure was done properly. So if your friend has one, inspect it for cracks, and then shoot it only with standard ammuntion, NO overpowered handloads. Most of the 03s Im aware of are either showcased or kept fed a diet of cast bullets or ammuntion kept below 45,000 cup pressure. They are safe to shoot, and a lot of fun to shoot, but no heavy loads.

Gunner

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Reply to
Gunner

That is some arcane and super specific knowledge you have there Gunner. I am impressed, not that it matters.

Reply to
dann mann

the op asked about the bolt, still waiting for that answer. i don't see any reason for it to be hardened but who knows, maybe surface hardened on the face? can't see why, brass against steel, but maybe there are some gases escaping(?). --Loren

Reply to
Loren Coe

Thanks a lot, guys... I'll print out your reply Gunner, and give to my friend. Once again RCM comes thru! Ron

Reply to
RKurtz

All bolts for 03-A3 Springfields (and most other rifles) are hardened. The locking lug area and the camming section for the cocking piece need to be hard, else they would wear quickly.

If someone has a "soft" bolt for a Springfield, he's asking for trouble using it. I'm not aware of any issued 03-A3's being issued with soft bolts, however.

Mike Eberle> > > That is some arcane and super specific knowledge you have there Gunner.

Reply to
mikee

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (dann mann)

wrt Springfield '03

There's a lot of history to that rifle. It's a feature of the U. S. national museum at the site at Springfield, MA. Very worth a trip, if you're ever near. I only wish they had kept more of the old machinery. Frank Morrison

Reply to
Fdmorrison

As I indicated..it has nothing to do with the bolt. The bolt is heat treated by IIRC, 2 seperate operations, one for the locking lugs, to make them wear resistant but still tough not brittle and the other for the bolt handle to make it tough.

There is no case or surface hardening involved on the bolt face other than its heat treated to the same RC as the lugs, being right between them.