OT: A Magazine for OT'ers

The December issue of _Harper's_ just arrived to subscribers, and I'd be hard-pressed to imagine a magazine issue more filled with fodder for mind-twisting, bandwidth-sucking arguments on RCM. OT quacks, cranks, and curmudgeons will find it packed with enough ammunition and moving targets to twist the NG into a knot until Christmas, including these bits:

"The Line is Hot: A history of the machine gun, shot," a look at machine guns from the unusual perspective of a literary-type writer who knows his guns, paced with a running narrative of his adventures at the machine-gun shoot at Knob Creek Gun Range in Kentucky. An interesting historical bit: Henry Raymond, former _Harper's_ editor and owner of _The New York Times_, successfully defended his newspaper's favorable opinion of draft exemptions for the wealthy in 1863 by pointing two Gatling guns into the street from his office windows. Must reading.

"Academic Cross-Dressing: How Intelligent Design gets its arguments from the left," by (yes, it's really him) Stanley Fish, much-hated Yale professor of post-modernist theory, who drives a green Jaguar reported to be frequently stuffed with co-ed crumpet, and yours isn't. Fish traces how Phillip E. Johnson, a leading ID advocate, among others, has intentionally and admittedly borrowed ideas from multiculturalism and post-modernism to promote his cause. It will make you clench your fists.

"Jesus Without the Miracles: Thomas Jefferson's Bible and the Gospel of Thomas," which provides some insights into the difference between Thomas Jefferson's Jesus and that of say, Pat Robertson. Interesting, not too tart. Information about what happened to the copy of the Bible that Thomas Jefferson once...ah, "edited," with a pair of scissors.

"The Great Leap: Scenes from China's Industrial Revolution," it ain't all roses in this account that you won't read in _Business Week_.

And, guaranteed to make blood boil and teeth knash (as always) among the conservative set, Lewis Lapham's editorial, "A Simple Life," which compares the Bush administration to a clique of spoiled teenagers "who don't want to hear it from anybody telling them what to do -- which shoes to wear, how to behave in a dance club, when to speak to the caddie or the French ambassador, why it might not be a good idea to wreck the Social Security system, redirect the flow of the Missouri river, or invade Iraq..."

The "Harper's Index" is fun ("Number of Alabama state senators co-sponsoring a bill last summer to 'protect' public displays of the Ten Commandments: 10. Number of them who could list the Commandments: 1"). Don't miss "Soccer Imams," about a soccer fatwah issued by a Saudi Sheikh ("If a player falls during the game and breaks his hand or his foot, he shall not say 'foul' and shall not stop playing because of his injury. The one who caused his injury shall not receive a yellow or red card by rather the case shall be judged according to Muslim law.")

Enjoy. It will be on the newsstands at big bookstores, college bookstores, and libraries by the end of next week. If it provokes any OT "discussions," I will not participate but I will be counting unread and blocked posts.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

This sounds like an ad for Harper's. Are you working for them now Ed?

Eng> The December issue of _Harper's_ just arrived to subscribers, and I'd be

Reply to
engineman1

That would be a dream job for any editor. Nope, I'm not.

There were just too many good articles in there, which scratch so many itches we see being scratched here, that I thought some folks would find it worth picking up (or looking at in a library, which is what I do with most of the other magazines I read).

Reply to
Ed Huntress

LOL!!

Who wants a jaguar, anyway!

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

My son. He isn't getting it.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

For a second I thought you wrote 'any.' Which would have been appropriate given the quote.

However the "it" is quite intriqueing. The implication is that you currently own a green E type, which he covets. You however are hanging on for dear life to it.

I can understand this. I feel funny enough with my 17 year old permitted daughter driving our 1985 toyota camry. I think it would be very bad for a parent's cardiac health to be sitting in the right hand seat of a car like that with the teenager driving....

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Nope. 'Never owned an E-Type. Hamei tried to sell me his, but I remember working on XK engines, and I already have a job, thank you.

My parents endured worse. The wrecks and tin cans I drove in those days make me cringe. My idea of a mid-size car was a Lotus 7.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 07:45:30 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed Huntress" quickly quoth:

He'd probably miss the connection between co-ed crumpets, bearded (or beardless) clams, and free mustache rides, too. Poor guy.

I guess the DNC will do that to ya. (RNC, too.)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'm sure he has interesting things to tell us that make all that seem tame...if he was talking.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 23:44:29 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Lew Hartswick quickly quoth:

Because I used the proper sig prefix of two dashes and a space, followed by a carriage return before writing the sig. That's why.

All who have been to google searching the rec.woodworking group for "pukey duck bonfire", probably. ;)

Tendjewberrymud. (Yup, go look it up.)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Or -

Driving in 60 mph highway traffic - going up or down hill in a winding mountain

4 lane concrete divided road and have 'Lambers' and the Fast Horses 'Fars' fly around you and then burn rubber in front - You hope you don't hit a 400k car in the ass!

That was me so many times it wasn't funny - lots of "I have more money than you" guys that made millions in Si Valley and showing off on the way to work.

I also loved and understood a little - the daily reverse traffic haul of a large cabin cruzer from Si Valley to the coast early a.m. for a day on the bay or trolling - while us poor types slaved away on patents and lectures.

jim rozen wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn