OT: another long off-topic economics thread

"John R. Carroll" wrote in news:J2_sj.533$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net:

And there you have it in a nutshell.

Home sales are still not bad depending on how you look at it. People that can actually afford to buy them are still buying. Albeit at a mid 90's pace. Which was considered quite good back then.

I saw a "news" program about the mortgage crisis teh other day. First couple claims they didn't know they took out a 1 year ARM. They put 2-

1/2% down. And they are moaning they can't afford to pay the new rate. Can't refi as they are now upside down as the house has devalued by some 15%. Are people really this stupid? HTF do you take out a mortgage and not know the terms? What kind of idiot buys a house without having a lawyer look over all the docs? Of course each of them taking on a second job is out of the question. As is selling the newish vehicles out in the driveway. I suppose that's why I'll never be a "news" reporter. I'd hurt their feelings with my bad attitude and unfair questions.

Next couple up "buys" a house for around 1-1/4 million. No money down interest only 7 year balloon. The jig is up and the house is worth maybe $950k in today's market. They are moaning that they are losing "everything". Huh? They have no assets. They never paid a dime of principal or put a nickel down. The bank is left upside down. What did they lose? Their credit for 7 years? BFD. There was never any guaranty that the house would appreciate over time. You rolled the dice in a risky scheme and lost. Tough luck. Sucks to be you.

The "news" show tells me that I should feel sorry for them. And I should be happy the government is taking my money and bailing them out? Yeah right. Screw them and screw the bank that lent them money in the first place.

Reply to
D Murphy

Another reason was free money. Unless people have access to financing they aren't going to buy big ticket items and nothing is a bigger ticket item than real estate. When the Federal Reserve lowered the interest rate to 1% it created a tremendous demand for housing. Inflation was at least 2% so by lowering interest to less than the rate of inflation it basically meant that the cost of money was virtually nothing. With all that money available to everyone it created a demand for real estate from all kinds of people who couldn't previously afford to buy homes. It allowed people to buy too much home and it allowed the lenders to go off the deep end and forget everything they knew about the rules of mortgage lending. It also sent the price of real estate skyrocketing because the demand was so high due to so many buyers. Now that the demand has dropped precipitously you can see how much the availability of money affected the demand for homes. Now there is no money to lend and there is no corresponding demand for housing. Proving once again that it's the government that makes everything in the economy happen. By making lots of money available at no cost it created a bubble, which is always followed by a bust. Now we're handing out borrowed money to spark the economy. If only we could get somebody in charge that actually knew what they were doing and didn't respond solely to the political winds of the time.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

Most of that isn't correct.

Those "in charge" know exactly what they are doing, at least to the extent that these things can be "known".

Reply to
John R. Carroll

A couple of those lawyer eggs fell out of the nest and rolled down a steep, rocky hill. The shells were cracked, and the embryos were badly damaged, but they managed to hatch into Cliff and Hawkie. That is why both are so twisted, and never shut up. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

So, quite obviously, eggs came first.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

:)

Reply to
cavalamb himself

Damn John C can I vote for you, somebody that knows how things are.

Reply to
Why

=========== This thought sends a shot of cold p*** to my heart.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

Maybe if you understood the repercussions of letting millions of people have their homes foreclosed on you would think differently. You think it's costing you a lot to bail out people who are losing their homes? If you let them all default it'll cost you a lot more. It'll also cause a lot more problems for everyone else and the whole economy as well. This is a case where "a stitch in time saves nine". Or how about "you can pay me now or you can pay me later". It's a smart move to anticipate problems and head them off before they become disasters. Apparently you haven't learned that one yet.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

Unless you can prove what I wrote is wrong then it's just your opinion, and one without a factual basis, I might add.

You give them a lot of credit for knowing what their actions will cause. I don't. I think they were as surprised by the bubble they created as they are by the credit crisis that we now have. But then you think they knew and anticipated all of that. Sorry, they aren't that smart or competent. They have a track record. It isn't that good.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

\|||/ (o o) |~~~~ooO~~(_)~~~~~~~| | Please | | don't feed the | | TROLLS! Plural.. | '~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Ooo~~' |__|__| || || ooO Ooo

Reply to
cavalamb himself

Here ya' go, George. This is another domino we never heard about: auction-rate securities. It seems the "auctions" have started to fail, causing such institutions as the NY/NJ Port Authority to start forking over interest payments at a rate of 20%, rather than the 4.3% it was paying last week:

This is some tangled web. Once again, hats off to deregulation! It's spawned an entire universe of financial fiends and demons.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

=============== Thanks for the information. 20% -- the godfather would be proud!

There is an old country saying "never take a fence down until you find out why it was put up."

The regulations such as Glass-Steagal and the reserve requirements were put in place because of exhaustive congressional hearings and extensive analysis by some of the best economists/accountants available into the causes of the 1929 stock market crash / credit crunch and resulting depression.

Unfortunately, Hegal appears to have been largely correct when he observed "But what experience and history teach is this-that peoples and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it.

Krugman's throw-away line about monoline insurers should sound yet another very loud alarm, as this could be the start of the great deravitives "unwinding."

There are literally trillions of dollars at risk in this [monoline insurance] sector alone. Two companies MBIA and Ambec represent more than a trillion [with a T] dollars *EACH*.

indicate that the total notational value of just the recorded CDS [credit debt swaps] is greater than 45 trillion, and there is estimated to be another 50-75% more that is not recorded of just this type derivative. There is not enough money in the universe to cover this mess.

Why do I keep hearing "Don't cry for me Argentina" (or that "The Sting") playing in the background?

One again the "masters of the universe" have had their party, the people get the hang-over, and have to clean up the mess.

I know how this movie ends....

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

You can just add it to your existing inventory.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Ah, you are a father. I'm not as fortunate and that gives me a litle distance. I can't imagine you are surprised George and if you are, I truly admire your innocence. Personally, I'm a cynic and in the practical sense, that means that 80 percent of the time I'm right and am pleasantly surprised the 2 out of ten I'm wrong.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

"Hawke" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

So the government adding to its already astounding debt is good for the economy?

How will the economy be affected when the government starts defaulting on its obligations and can't pay entitlements like Soc Sec?

The debt holders also have the option of holding the interest rate on the ARM's. The debtors have the option of working a second job and cutting back.

Speculators that took out interest only balloons took a gamble and lost. Should the governemnt reimburse everyone that gambles or loses money on an investment?

I'm OK with a bailout just so long as I get paid back in the future. Where is that component of the plan?

Reply to
D Murphy

To Funny!

They aren't really that smart Ed. Understanding the machanics can be mind numbing so rather than do the hard work of researching things adequately, the relied on the ratings agencies - who also didn't really know their asses from their elbows. Plus, Citi and the others wanted to do these deals. They were under tremendous pressure from several directions at once and took the easy route while hoping for the best.

I couldn't find the interview but here is the verbatim:

"Sarah, if the American people had ever known the truth about what we Bushes have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." -George H. W. in an interview with Sarah McClendon, June 1992

John R. Carroll

============== I can't speak for Ed, but for myself it is the sheer size of the grift (and the speed with which it is blowing) that has taken me by surprise.

I expected something on the scale of the S&L melt-down, and while I could see something was about to occur, I did not expect the degree of collusion we are seeing between the ratings companies such as Moody's and S&P, and monoline bond guarantors such as MBIA and Ambac, with the scam artists, which allowed their "Ponzi securities/instruments" to be sold to insurance companies, trust funds and pension funds, which by law are limited to "investment grade [Aaa] instruments.

Also I did not foresee the magnitude and extent of the "perfect storm" / "contagion" worldwide across *ALL* financial sectors. As you indicated in your insightful comments, these "deals" were designedly [and very successfully] highly opaque.

To put the potential and actual losses in some sort of perspective, just *ONE* type of derivative called CDS for "credit default swap" has *RECORDED* notational value of more than 45 trillion [with a T] US dollars. It is estimated that some where between an additional 50 to 200% of non-recorded or "private" CDSs are in existance, but no one knows for sure [yet].

Many of these CDSs are held by the mono-line bond insurers, and through some sort of "circle jerk," they have managed to issue CDSs on each others potential liabilities, show a profit for creating these derivatives, and then hold these as assets.!

see

I consider it highly significant that this information is showing up on the BBC and Financial Times [UK] websites but not the American ones] also see

Contrast just this potential liability with the 2006 *WORLD* GDP of 48.2 Trillion US dollars and the 2006 US GDP of 14.6 Trillion US dollars. Warren Buffet has cogently and correctly characterized these "derivatives" as "financial weapons of mass destruction."

==> Remember this is only *ONE* type of synthetic financial "derivative," and many of your assumed assets such as your pension fund and 401k are now stuffed with these and other financial zombies, vampires, incubi and succubae.

I must plead guilty to being insufficiently cynical [or realistic]. My excuse is that I kept applying the criteria of not confusing malice with incompetence; long after it was [or should have been] apparent that malice [or at least amoral avarice] was [and is] indeed the controlling factor. Thus I was always behind the "power curve."

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

[ I consider it highly significant that this information is

Here is a knee slapper: "(1) CDS of CBOs and CDS of CLOs are included in CBOs and CLOs, respectively."

Like most folks George, you and Ed both want to believe that people without apparent motivation will none the less act avariciously. They continue with this because they have get away with it over and over again.

That was why I've always pointed to the S$L/Junk Bond debacle and it's resolution with such derision. Complete collapse would have been real bad but what was put in place was even worse. Ivan Boesky started publicly proclaiming that "Greed is Good" and to the extent that you can substitute the word ambition for greed, he was correct. Pain is also good. Painful failures curtail the transition from ambition into unscrupulous avarice. Especially if the pain is BIG pain.

Can you even imagine how much worse this all would be had Bush and the Congress put SSI in private hands? WOW, now THAT would really have been something!

Reply to
John R. Carroll

========== Even further off topic, but....

Unfortunately, from an operational or outcomes perspective there may not be much difference, except possibly a few months timing.

The current US GDP is around 13 trillion dollars and the official "on the books" national/federal debt is about 9 trillion. Unfortunately, the actual/total federal/national debt, including all obligations [Social Security, Medicare, Resolution Trust Corporation, Highway Trust funds, Indian Trust funds, and a whole bunch more] using accepted FASB methodology is estimated at about

500% of this or 45 trillion dollars. The actual Federal only national debt is thus about 3.5 times the GDP. State and local governmental debt, including their "authorities" and their unfounded pension obligations, are estimated at about another 9 to 10 trillion dollars, for a total governmental debt to GDP ratio of about 4.5X GDP, which historically is unsustainable.

To be sure the US government will fully redeem the special US Treasury securities (and indeed all their financial obligations to the last penny) that are the "Social Security Trust Fund's" "assets," which is indeed more than what may have occurred with a privatized "Social Security" in bankruptcy. However this "difference" is moot, *IF* the "spondulicks," with which retirees [and all the other creditors], are paid are worth nothing.

The upside is it costs no more to print a 10-million-dollar bill than it does a 1-dollar bill?.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

Hey. I used to do work for Standard & Poors. I never knew if they knew their asses from their elbows or not. I know they made us (McGraw-Hill) a lot of money.

That surprises me, given the abilities of some of the people at the top. But I think the actual workings of most aspects of high finance would surprise me. Economics is something I'm comfortable with. Finance might as well be on another planet.

As you know, McClendon is kind of an odd duck among White House reporters, but it certainly sounds interesting.

Anyway, thanks for the report from the world above 50,000 feet, John. I'm glad I decided not to go there for a career.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress