OT Audi A4 question

Anyone know much about the audi A4 1996 with a V-6? my wife wants a all wheel drive for winter and a friend is selling an A4 with 130,000 miles on it. He is looking to get $3100. I will have to do the timing belt (a job from hell on this car) the belt is original and this engine crash the valves if it goes. I know this is way off topic but somebody might have a view.

Reply to
Wayne Mak

JR North

Reply to
Wayne Mak

My employer drives a 1998 model A4. It is a good car and I do not notice that he has problems with the car. He takes it into the shop every 6 months for tuneups, etc...

Reply to
adchin

The A4 is a pretty good car (going by the standard of cars in the UK). Had a few of them work, and never had any major problems with them. Main thing to watch out for are the alloy suspension arms, as when the balljoints go, these are quite expensive (aprox 150ukp). As has been said, change the idlers + water pump at the same time as the timing belt. Seen too many engines destroyed by idlers + water pumps collapsing. (saving 40pound on a couple idlers is alot cheaper than the

1000+ for the new cylinder head). Hardest part of this is figuring out how to get the bumper out the way, which varies greatly with any VAG vehicle (took me 2 hours today to get the front end back on a 97 VW passat, and you only get 2 hours to do the complete job!)

moray

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

For statistics, 2004 CR lists it as worse than average (compared to other '96 cars). Trouble spots are *AC, *suspension, cooling, elec, brakes, body integrity, and power equip. Maybe a Subaru Legacy/Outback?

David

Reply to
David Malicky