OT-auto power windows-cable driven- repair

A friends power window gave up the ghost the day before it started raing causing an impromptu session of cardboard and duct tape to ward off the potential aquarium conditions. When we got to taking off the inner door panel, we discovered the the cable the drives the "down" side of the action had dropped off the take up spool and jammed under the mounting/ spool. Anyone have any idea the relative postion of the cables to the widow to allow the window operation. It appears that there is a "up"cable and a "down" cable. They reside on the same spool -only when the up is spooling off, does the "down cable start to spool on. Sound correct? When we tried to rethread the 2 cables (which were pretty bent up by then), we couldn't get the 2 cable with no slack such that the operation up and down were fluid. Yeah, I know, perhaps one of the auto groups is appropriate- but the wealth of knowledge this group has amazes me. earlier model hyundai sonata by the way.

TIA Pat

Reply to
patrick mitchel

JR North

i worked on one for a 96 ford contour.. the cable frayed and jambed up in the spool and cut into the case of the spool... it was one continous piece of wire looped around the spool to take up the slack....i got some cable from a lawnmower/bicycle shop and tried that... have a small metal lathe and made some parts like the crimp on to hold the cable, but got disgusted with it and just bought a new window regulator....kinda felt bad as a whole new unit was bought due to a $1.00 cable.. but my daughter kept complaining and wanted it fixed yesterday... if it was for me i would have kept working on it and got it fixed....

Reply to
jim

Thanks for the info- pretty much figured the cable was toast- spool looks pretty abused as well- Pat

Reply to
patrick mitchel

One of these days, I hope this whole country rebels against the junk cars we are paying $30-$40K for.... I get so disgusted with all the little things (that could be engineered a LOT better) that they slap into newer cars and jack the price up to cover the "improvements". Sigh.... Shrug..... Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 01:10:28 GMT, Ken Sterling vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

I think the "little things" are actually very _carefully_ and _well_ engineered....they probably have stress tests on subject groups, and shrinks there just to say how far they can go (and it seems to be a long way) :-<

.........no I'm not! remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Spike....Spike? Hello?

Reply to
Old Nick