OT Bedroom safe

Depends on how upset your wife would be if it went missing .....................
Add pictures here
✖

blink..ah....er.....
Nevermind
Gunner, who has restraints and other toys available for his lady friends to wear if they so desire....
✖

Two words I hate - should and probably.
Add pictures here
✖
jeff_wisnia wrote:

I don't think anyone will be stashing a .44 magnum in that thing.
--
Paul Hovnanian snipped-for-privacy@hovnanian.com
✖
On Jul 9, 6:45 am, Ignoramus10294 <ignoramus10...@NOSPAM. 10294.invalid> wrote:

Consider two safes. One, a cheap one, in rather plain site, with crap jewelry, so any home invasion will be able to not open the safe, but be able to remove it without much trouble. The real safe is as others have described, hidden in an undisclosed location and very securely fastened to your house foundation.
My brother recently built a house with a hidden access to a rather large space behind a bath tub. Trying to retrofit a safe might be difficult, but if you ever think of remodeling your home, use that opportunity to add your safe.
On the other hand, when we lived in the Seattle area and had a safe added to our business office, the owner of the safe company told of a recent sale and delivery where the home owner had a hole cut in the roof and the main floor so a crane could move the safe to the basement. This might be an option for you!
Paul
Add pictures here
✖

I like this idea.

✖

It's hard to pull out a floor safe. We installed one in Mom's house after we had to jackhammer a hole in the concrete slab in the closet to tunnel to the plumbing for major repairs. The house will be up for sale soon with safe included.
Use a heavy steel key-lock box for a pistol or shotgun for easy access, bolt it to the wall or floor from inside. Just make sure the key is on you and one in the safe, and the kids won't find them laying around.
Add pictures here
✖

I used to have a floor safe. Rarely used it as was too hard to get to and open. The small gun safe, holds maybe 6 long guns with an electric lock is easy to use. When we go away the wife's jewelry goes in the safe. Electric lock, so easy to open in my old age. Bolts to the floor and wall. Sure a robber can take it, but they do not want to spend a lot of time in a house. Just make it very inconvenient and they will rob someone else. An alarm system is also good. And since about 30 years ago, I designed some alarm components, I do have some knowledge of them. Pressure mats are easy to install, and no running of wires for window and door switches.
Add pictures here
✖

We tried to remove a real safe installed in a reinforced concrete wall once with a jackhammer. The concrete was so thick, strong, and had so much steel in it the job was abandoned after a few days of work barely made a dent in it.
Add pictures here
✖

Well, in the first place, bedrooms are the first place burglars look! In the past, I worked in law enforcement twice. It gave me a good insight!
Steve R.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 08:45:47 -0500, Ignoramus10294

You need two - or three (His and Hers) - seperate safes.
For a handgun, you need a small lockbox with a combination lock that can be opened by feel in a dark room. The push-button combination lock is a classic - and DO NOT leave it at the factory default combination setting.
You can't really bolt it down that well, unless you want to bolt your whole bedroom set to the floor and hide steel bracketry inside. Do what you can, chains and lag bolts to the studs - slow them down.
It would be a really good idea to wire a tamper switch to the handgun safe and have it on a 24-hour zone of your alarm system. Whether it's kids getting into it, the cleaning lady getting snoopy, or a thief trying to take the whole nightstand "To Go" and find out what's inside later, you want to know about it. Now.
And while wiring it up, it's easy to put a Panic Button switch next to it. When the Alarm Company gets a signal for the silent alarm button trigger at the same time as the gun safe opening, they know to roll the Cops before wasting the time calling you to confirm - since you are probably in a situation where seconds count.
Oh, and they can tell the Cops that the resident is armed. Which is kind of important, you don't want them acting on reflex and ventilating the holder of the first gun they see.
For larger valuables and long guns, you really need a free-standing safe. Bolted securely to a concrete slab floor, and in an inside room where they can't just drive a forklift up to it and load it up. And the tamper & alarm switches aren't a bad idea there either.
--<< Bruce >>--
Add pictures here
✖

I say you need at least 7 safes, but 13 would be better. If you want to not screw around, go for at least 5 safes per room, and convert one room into a vault.
Be sure to put a safe inside the vault, in case the cleaning people sneak in while you open the door.
Add pictures here
✖

That's what banks do, put safes inside vaults.
✖

If it's good enough for an old style bank (who actually have valuables) it should work just as good at home.
Add pictures here
✖

It's nasty and a lot of work, but a floor safe is worth it. A definite thing to do for anyone building a house. Think about it. If you were a bad guy, could you get a safe off a wall, or rip it out from some attachment? I think we all could with time and tools. Even a floor safe, but only a pro that knows there's a lot in there would attempt it, and then, they probably would use a stethoscope than a jackhammer.
Still, a hassle to get into in a hurry to get a handgun out. I have my handguns very accessible, just placed in places that thieves probably wouldn't look on a quick search, and are high enough that the kids can not get to them. I have four around the house, and two shotguns. Not paranoid, but when you need one, you don't want to tell the guy, "Wait here a minute until I get back. I have to go to the other side of the house." As for the jewelry, a floor safe is good. The next best thing is to build a secret compartment in a cabinet that looks like part of the unit. Or even in the back of her underwear or socks drawer. My wife stashes jewelry, then sometimes it is months before she remembers where she stashed it.
I am plagued with rock squirrels. Little bastards strip the fruit trees and chew up stuff for fun, then crap all over the place. One came in the yard yesterday, and my two grandsons were here. I ran to the safe and got out the shotgun, as I had put it in there knowing they would be here yesterday. Came back, opened the door, popped the squirrel with a 12 ga. low base shell, and everyone was like ho hum. No big deal. Musta been two of them, because they were laughing as one took off to the left. Me and one grandson went and checked, and I did get the one I was aiming for, dead as a hammer. Otherwise, I would have just had to go ten feet to pick up the shotgun.
Dad and Mom are POs, and although they don't leave guns laying around, those boys have been seeing guns all their lives and every day. They know not to touch, and I'm waiting until they are old enough to shoot. I was 8. My son shot a 12 ga at 8.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖

in today's local newspaper...
"Intruder flees with jewelry when confronted in home."
http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090712/NEWS/90712002
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 15:48:01 -0700, Gunner Asch wrote:

"The dead man is described as a light-skinned black man, about 6 feet, 2 inches tall and weighing about 175 pounds. He is between 25 and 35 years of age."
Sounds like a description of Barack Obama. >:->
Cheers! Rich
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 08:45:47 -0500, Ignoramus10294

Yes. Keeping a gun in a bedroom safe is moronic, slow and only gets you killed if you need it.
Gunner
✖
or about Sat, 18 Jul 2009 15:00:00 -0700 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

     I know a guy who has a couple gun safes. Doesn't lock them, he just needed someplace convenient to store his guns. Better than a pile in the corner of the closet.
tschus pyotr - pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Add pictures here
✖