OT? boiling battery

The goal is to rinse out conductive sediment from under the plates. I didn't mention it because splashed acid and juggling heavy batteries can be risky.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Ah, got it. It must have been a similar thread.

Overwintering in a camper? Ouch! The only place I can think of which would be palatable for that would be balmy SoCal.

Best of luck finishing your house pronto!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well , it's not just the camper now . We have a "living room" that's 16 x

24 , the camper is "attached" via a short hallway . I heat the whole mess with my wood stove and fans to keep the air moving . Still , the camper

with 1" foam insulation . The kitchen isstarted , but excessiverain in December has delayed me getting the block walls of the cellar underneath finished . Wood I can work in the cold , mortar and blocks not so much .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I thought my AODE was hosed the other day (greeked display), but a power-off reset cleared it. It's on the HF 45w setup.

Ooh, nice informative little meter. I'll have to pick one up for the extra KW I'll be adding soon.

How many watts of solar are you running through the AODE?

It's a real shame that good Lithiums aren't a dime a dozen yet. I'd love to get one or two of Elon's little packs.

What type of batteries are you running, Jim? PV-rated or simple marine deep cycle? How's their longevity?

Is that $20 for the charger, and $50ea for the words "minnkota" and "precision"? You'll get programmability in the more expensive Outbacks. I've been eyeing a 60A Taiwanese controller/charger which also does datalogging.

Larry Jaques

I'll bet that helps immensely.

Foam is good! Why only 1"?

Mixing ice and cement can be tedious, oui?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

About 100W under ideal conditions.

They are marine deep cycle, about 5 years old. I haven't seen any signs of deterioration but I keep them topped up and haven't yet measured their full capacity, since every time I start I find something that should be changed. A few days ago I assembled a 3 Ohm

480 Watt load bank that should eliminate the uncertainties of load testing them with an inverter and 120V load.

I'll try this as the adjustable low voltage disconnect:

I paid $19, which may have been a typo as the price jumped immediately afterwards.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

5 years is good! My secondary is an old auto battery a client gave to me which hadn't been installed. The original is a Wally World marine battery about 1.5 years old now. That setup, along with the HF 2kw inverter (69662, $134 with coup) ran the 3.5searzHP Remington electric chainsaw just fine. The inverter will go on the big system once I get it. "Free" hot water is the first goal, with power independence the overall big goal.

Anything adjustable is nice. That's a rebranded Chi-tronics. I'm still running the original controller that came with the HF 45w kit. I was just going to buy a 24v 600w water heater element for $16.97 with free shipping but the day I went to buy, it had jumped to $29.99 plus $3.67 shipping. I sent an email to them but they didn't respond. Crap! Doubled overnight.

Reply to
Larry Jaques