OT - Bumped up RAM

I switched from IE7 to 8 recently. Computer was slow. Bumped up RAM to 2 GB, and hooey, what a difference. You might look at yours and consider this inexpensive easy fix.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Unfortunately, for me, my little Acer Netbook can only hold 1 GB. :(

Memory, for a Winders box, equals speed: the more the merrier!

Reply to
RAM³

Actually, you can bump that up to 1.5 GB Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Yessir, RAM is like some other things, you just can't have too much.

I consider 2 GB a minimum now, Win XP and above.

Reply to
RBnDFW

Thanks for the tip. I had 1/2G, added another 1G ($55, Amazon). My wife's PC, too. From 256MB (!) to 1G.

She noticed a BIG difference, but I didn't. So I went poking around the 'net & found this free MS utility ("Process Explorer") that monitors memory usage:

To my surprise, I have not seen any memory use above 600MB. I've opened a number of app's simultaneously, including Adobe Photoshop Elements and MS Excel, which I had thought were real memory pigs. They added very little to the usage.

So I'm wondering what uses a lot of memory. Maybe data, like pix & music. But if MP3 is, say, 2MB/minute, I'd have to have hours of music IN MEMORY, to get up to a total of 1G. Raw music takes more, but still ... Likewise pix - I'd have to be working on hundreds of them simultaneously.

Well, then, video. The little video I have is low res (640 x 480) AVI. It ranges from .1M to 1.1M per second. So if I were editing a 10 minute clip, it would need 60 - 660MB to keep it in memory. So, I tried it on a 100MB clip - it didn't keep it memory (usage only went up about

30MB).

So, I dunno. Anybody know why a lot of memory might be needed?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt