Recent metalworking projects

What were 'your' recent metalworking projects? Wes

I just posted to the dropbox a set of files named Chain_Wheel that are about a device I made recently for our fire dept. Now that I'm in retirement mode I can take on time consuming projects like this one. Sure I could have bought one but what's the fun in that, eih? It was a study in math and workholding for sure! I've considered removing the chain guide on the slack side as that point is never under load going up or down. There could be a pileup if one link for some reason won't behave in the guide. At least the operating speed is slow anyway. Perhaps we can get more projects listed, eih? What do you have to show off? phil kangas

Reply to
Phil Kangas

clausing lathe repair

Reply to
Ignoramus10008

These?

Kewl!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Yup, that's them! For some reason they are not listed in order there. Oh well, at least they're there!

Reply to
Phil Kangas

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 17:06:58 -0500, the infamous "Phil Kangas" scrawled the following:

Things that make you go Hmmmm...

Why is it that nobody ever links the dropbox in their hundreds of mentions of it, even when they've just finished putting a project on the damned thing?

Nice job, BTW.

-- The blind are not good trailblazers.

-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well _I_ just found my 1/4-32 tap, which means that now I can make some glow plug heads for Cox 049s. It was in yet another place where I stash taps -- I really need to do a better job storing taps. Seeing a bunch of taps clashing together in a drawer in a tool kit just makes my skin crawl -- unfortunately I seem to respond to this by squirreling taps away in all sorts of different places. Yes, it keeps them from clashing into one another, but...

Now where's my 2-64 tap, for needle valves???

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Nice work. Is that right angle attachment a 1:1 ratio?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Mine is in a tap index.

Sadly, no spot for my 7/32-40 tap. (Aperature sight inserts) Hey, I need to try making some of those.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Nothing to show off really, but this weekend I've been working on reworking a truck box for my new(est) truck. Nobody seems to make a box quite like I want, so I started with a 18"x18"x60" long underbody box, cut it down to 12" deep instead of 18", welded it back together, made some runner "feet" that will sit in between the ribs in the bed of the truck and support the box crosswise behind the cab. I still have to fab some end extension louver things that will fill in the remaining width of the bed as well as protecting vent openings from rain and bugs. I'll be putting a fan and thermostat in the box to keep it from getting excessively hot, and will be mounting a 2KW inverter and a compressor in the box along with the storage for tools and whatnot. When the box is complete I'll have it sprayed with Line-X to match the bed of the truck. The setup will also be on quick connects, so the box is removable when needed.

Reply to
Pete C.

Yes it is 1:1 ratio. The pockets were first roughed out with a

5/8 end mill and finished with a 3/4 end mill that was broken. The stub was ground to use only one flute with a rounded corner to match the radius of the link wire. Hair brained I know but it worked nice! phil
Reply to
Phil Kangas

I'd never try to get two, three or four flutes the same free handing. One sounds good to me. Just takes a bit longer and you are retired. :)

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Well , I don't have any decent photos to post , but I've been casting aluminum parts for casting flasks . Got 8 sides and 8 ends cast , enough parts to mold 2 projects at the same time . I'll spend this week machining the edges and mating surfaces and drilling holes for register pins .

Reply to
Snag

That's because of the file name format. They are displayed in

*alphabetical* order, not numerical order. If you wanted them to sort properly, you need the same number of digits in each name, so the first nine would look like this:

Chain_Wheel_01.jpg Chain_Wheel_02.jpg Chain_Wheel_03.jpg Chain_Wheel_04.jpg Chain_Wheel_05.jpg Chain_Wheel_06.jpg Chain_Wheel_07.jpg Chain_Wheel_08.jpg Chain_Wheel_09.jpg

then they would sort before the last two.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

--Injection molding dies; deets in another thread.

Reply to
steamer

I just pull down "Favorites" and click "Drop box" Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 19:00:38 -0800, the infamous Gunner Asch scrawled the following:

Strange, the NC and NF sets are $12 and $13 each, totaling $25 with two cases, while the exact same 2 sets in -one- box cost $44.80. Even with the metric set thrown in, it's $5 higher than their separate costs.

---------------------------------------------------------- California's 4 Seasons: Fire, Flood, Drought, & Earthquake --------------------------------------

* NoteSHADE(tm) Laptop Glare Guards

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Just small stuff until I can lift anything. Putting up pegs and shelves in my container and shop house to get stuff off the floor. Brought back a 3/4 ton pickup of ebay stuff from Vegas yesterday. Will liquidate that to get blogging money. Got some stuff on the list, but time, money, weather, and health can't seem to occur on the same day.

Grrrrrrrrr.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Drilled two holes - in aluminum - tapped and installed two screws. But it was a lot more challenging than it sounds here...

cavelamb

Ahh, now I 'get it' !! Always something new to learn, eih? phil

Reply to
Phil Kangas

On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 23:23:52 -0800, the infamous Gunner Asch scrawled the following:

The way I read the site: They sell small kits contain one case, 9 drill bits, and 9 taps. The large kit has 18 bits, 18 taps, and one case.

I'm wondering why there is a nearly $20 difference in price.