OT: Computer keyboard suggestions?

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Dan

There's cheap, then there's inexpensive. Sounds like you got cheap. Dells have been Good Enough, the fact that they were inexpensive just happened to be a plus. "Professional quality" these days means turned out by the cheapest shop in Asia, not the most expensive. Computers are commodities and businesses look for the cheapest deal. That's why there are no $100 keyboards stuck in current PC hardware bundles. But you can find such at computer recyclers.

OK, here's one from the local semi-big box computer joint:

Stan

Reply to
stans4

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Dan

I certainly understand the difference between cheap and iniexpensive. My local Goodwill and Salvation Army stores don't get, for some reason, a lot of computers. I was just at the municipal recycling center and they also didn't have anything good. I will give that Microcenter KB a look next time I'm at the store (maybe a couple of days).

Reply to
rangerssuck

Go for the high end Microsoft or Logitech boards. Not cheap, but nice. If you want a "cordless" board, the "rocketfish" BlueTooth board is reasonable quality with a good feel. Comes with bluetooth keyboard as well in a kit. Mine is an older BTKB2.

Reply to
clare

and do not use a cordless keyboard on a CNC machine!

Ignoramus25972

This is a good one for the shop ... Dishwasher safe and has a good feel:

Seal Shield STK503 Silver Storm Washable & Antimicrobial Keyboard $33 (w/ shipping) Item Number: S094-0014 --- **** Tiger Direct ****

I guess its made for hospitals and such. Its USB but comes with a PS2 adapter if you are short on USB ports or it needs plugged into a really old comp.

John

Reply to
John

Sorry - that should read comes with bluetooth MOUSE as well in the kit.

Reply to
clare

What mfg & model is that? I've been looking for one in my area, and can't find one.

jk

Reply to
jk

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Dan

Okey Dokey. I picketd up one of these yesterday and, well, it's close.

The keays have a pretty good feel, and click quite reassuringly, but the spacebar is going to take some getting used to - it's much harder to press, and has much shorter travel. Next time I go out to microcenter (it's about 12 miles away), I'll check out another one of these and see if the spacebar feels the same. The other problem (well, not really a problem) is that the backspace key is exactly the same size as all the other keys, as is the backslash key. But I can get used to those THe spacebar is probably going to give me thumb cramps before I get used to it.

Anyway, Thanks for the help.

Reply to
rangerssuck

I have one of the Unicomp 102-key USB keyboards, and it works just fine. It greatly reduced the incidence of typos, because the keys are not so twitchy as the membrane ones.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

The IBM switches aren't mechanical, they do use a membrane. But the springs are actual snappy springs, not rubber domes.

I had a 1994 "IBM" (by Lexmark) keyboard which was of slightly lesser quality, but worked every bit as fine as this older IBM. I drowned the poor thing in Formula 409 when I wanted to clean the keys without removing the plastic case. Ruined! Not fixable, the switches were inside a housing made of steel plates, which couldn't be opened without drilling out many steel rivets!

Do not put an IBM/Lexmark/Unicomp keyboard in the dishwasher to clean it, as some people may suggest.

My 1991 *real* IBM has removeable key caps: pop 'em off - clean - pop back on. Also has a much thicker, removable cord with a telephone-type plug that snaps in to a socket.

Reply to
Beryl

It varied, and I have not had my Unicomp keyboard apart (because I'm typing on it).

They used to be capacitative, and then became membrane, in both cases activated by the buckling spring mechanism:

Ouch. I don't know that I would have been that brave, even if the keyboard were already kaput, because sealed-for-washing switches were not so common back then.

I thought of buying a used and reconditioned one from , but while possible it's a nuisance to mate them to a Mac, even a modern (USB) Mac. So I bought a Unicomp.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn