OT Day 23

Farkin' gaddam DOCTORS!

Park it at Stage 2 and call that doctor nightly, just before you go to bed, and give him your much more informed diagnosis.

Same Bat Time, Same Bat Usenet Station, Pooh? AOK

-- The United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world. -- Ayn Rand

Reply to
Larry Jaques

(...)

You are as eloquent and focused as ever. Thanks for these thoughts, Don.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Not their fault, Larry.

If my corporation told the docs I needed a hysterectomy and breast augmentation, that would have been the treatment plan.

Docs gotta eat too, ya know. :)

That'd be harassment. I wouldn't be any good at it.

Right, Commissioner!

To the Batmobile, Robin!

--BatWin

Reply to
Winston

I always was.

The example that I found the best, is this. Regular forgetfulness is when you forget a wallet when going on a shopping trip.

Alzheimer's is when you put the waller into the refrigerator.

Forget about what? :)

Ignoramus10155

Winston, I am very sorry to hear about this, but how exactly were you diagnosed, then?

Ignoramus10155

(...)

My corporation hired a couple psychologists. One talked with me over the phone and the other one did an evaluation in his office.

That's what I got for performing my job well. (Got a stellar review!)

Apparently my boss's boss decided this was a good way to get rid of me.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

The cynic in me is wondering if the evaluation, perhaps, was a clever way to get rid of you.

Ignoramus10155

I was thinking the same thing Iggy. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Psychologists paid by a corporation. Good God! Get an examination and opinion from a real doctor!

Reply to
Don Foreman

I did. It took a whole day, but lunch in the hospital cafeteria was cheap and very tasty! (Fish fillet with a side of perfectly - steamed veggies.)

(After completing the tests, she claimed the earlier evaluation was invalid, because I had secretly recorded it.)

I looked over at her as she was reading a copy of my employment review from the same outfit.

Eyes bugged out and a look of total surprise on her face.

Heh. :)

(If I disappear now, it isn't because I'm being snooty.)

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Are you familiar with the Nuns Study?

If not that ought to get you started :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I just started reading the Wikipedia article, and I am already fascinated. There are so many things to read and so many unanswered (for me) questions, but this is, clearly, a treasure trove.

I wonder what "linguistic density" means -- as this is something that is, at least, measurable. Thank you!

Ignoramus10155

Guessing... how many languages you are fluent (used loosely) in. I suspect technical languages (like programming, ie Perl, C...) would also apply.

When my Dad's sickness was well underway I was searching/reading a lot more about it (he passed away ~5 years ago). I still read stuff about it but I'm not actively pursuing it right now.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

My bad... it would be more like the number of words in your vocabulary. I'm sure the more languages you are fluent in should help boost your vocabulary, but that isn't really what they're implying (shrug).

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Well, I'll beat this one to death... For a much better explanation, see:

Should hit the nail-on-the-head for you :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I know RUssian, English, C++, perl, bash.

I read those websites about Alzheimer's that you recommended, and I believe that by linguistic density, they mean sometihng other than the numbe rof languages. They refer to "how many ideas are expressed per

10 words". I find this to be puzzling, as 10 words seems to be very little room for many ideas, but I kind of get their idea.

I find this to be kind of interesting, right now.

Ignoramus10155

Yes, a good explanation. I wonder if one could write a computer analyzer of linguistic density.

Ignoramus10155

Huh? Since when are doctors under corporate stupidvision? Corporate insurance agencies tell them what they'll pay for a given surgery, but that's about it, innit?

Tons of doctors are retiring early due to Obamunism and the "fix" with the drug moguls. Both the people and the doctors got taken. I think the CONgresscritters did, too, but they also got some kickback for their kitties.

-- The United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world. -- Ayn Rand

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Shrink to Boss: "I read him lists of the 206 bones and 656 muscles in the body and asked him to repeat them to me from the bottom up. He couldn't do it, barely remembering five of each." Stage 5 Alzheimers!

-- The United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world. -- Ayn Rand

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It refers to how many concurrent languages you can cuss in, Ig.