OT: Degaussing AlNiCo magnet

I need to degauss some AlNiCo magnets. They are cylindrical (2" OD, 1.5' ID, and 1" long). We charge them with a single pole going through the diameter. I want to degauss about 100 magnets that have been charged, but were left haning on a metal plate for years and have lost some of their charge.

Any tips or hints on how to build a degausser? Or, can anyone recommend a company that makes them?

Thanks.

Pete

Reply to
Rileyesi

Can you use the charging coil to make a degausser?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Maybe. I'll contact the manufacturer to be sure. This is a very expensive piece of equipment, so I may not want to just to protect it!

Thanks for the reply.

Reply to
Rileyesi

Ok, if not... Might simply heating the magnets to above their curie point work? Simple and easy to test.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Good idea. I had not thought of that. However, the curie temperature for this material is 820 C (1,500 F for us US folks!). I don't have the ability to achieve that temperature without damaging the carier that surrounds the magnet.

Actually, I ran a test this morning that seems to have solved my problem. All we need to do is to charge the magnet two times rather than our normal one time. Apparently, the second charge is enough to eliminate any residual magnetism from the initial charge.

Thank you again for the ideas.

Regards.

Reply to
Rileyesi