OT: Electronics word

Quick question. Is there an adjective for describing a digital electronic circuit that uses ICs but no microprocessors? I thought there
was, but I can't remember it.
Chris
On 09/16/2010 07:50 PM, Christopher Tidy wrote:

"just logic", or "digital logic" (technically speaking a microprocessor itself is a digital logic device, so a microprocessor running code must be, too - but you see what it means).
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I agree with "logic" or "digital logic". Such circuits are comprised of logic chips -- CMOS logic, TTL logic, etc etc. from one or more compatible logic "families".
A microprocessor is different than a logic chip because it requires a program to define its function. A processor or computer can certainly be contstructed using logic chips but it will also necessarily contain memory and would then be regarded as a system or at least subsystem.

"Glue logic" maybe - but this is usually reserved for nuts & bolts interface logic.
Dennis wrote:

Glue logic is usually describes the gates between a microprocessor and something else. I'd use the term "random logic" (kind of an oxymoron) to describe a logically functioning set of parts without a processor.
On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 19:07:02 +0800, Dennis wrote:

I've even heard the term "discrete logic," illogical as that may seem to one who has actually worked with discretes. ;-)
Cheers! Rich
On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 00:15:49 -0500, Don Foreman

LSI for large scale integration.
Don Foreman wrote:

DTL, RTL anyone. :-) ...lew...

I began with gates made from 2N104 transistors, some in birdcage assemblies. A complex machine like a phase-shift modem was the size of a dishwasher, filled with cards containing two gates each. The designers really earned their pay back then, modern stuff is more complex but less clever.
So few of us made it all the way through school that the Army gave up on training techs for component-level troubleshooting of that equipment. The four (of ~100) in my graduating class all had science degrees.
jsw
Lewis Hartswick wrote:

914, 923? Discrete?
enough left over to pay them.
On 09/16/2010 10:15 PM, Don Foreman wrote:

Except that these days you can slap an FPGA on a board, put a configuration file in it, and common usage will call it 'logic' -- even though the FPGA has memory in it. Sometimes, even though the FPGA configuration has a microprocessor hidden in it.
The lines are blurred.
(Note that I am only commenting on usage as I've heard it: were I a linguist I would claim that a language is what is spoken, not what the people in ivory towers say _should_ be spoken).
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

True, but a couple of common terms for such a board are "dedicated logic" and "combinatorial logic".
LLoyd

The adjectives for the two sides of that issue are "prescriptive" and "descriptive".
jsw

A gate array, field programmable or not, certainly is a logic circuit.

Especially in a case like this, where common usage evolves fairly rapidly.
maybe TTL is what you want?

Bill Noble wrote:

Another possibility...
SSI    Small scale integration MSI    Medium scale integration LSI    Large scale integration (usually means a microprocessor)
--

Richard Lamb

Are you thinking about "Combinatorial Logic?" That refers to non- clocked pure functions like AND, OR, NOT, etc. which can be combined to create outputs which are functions of the inputs, like adders.
On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 04:29:03 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck

I thought about that too, but this excludes common chips like dual-rank flipflops.

indeed it does, but you can make those flip flops out of nand gates. Actually, you can make pretty much any logic function out of nand gates.
rangerssuck wrote:

It doesn't matter how it's made - it matter's what it does. A combinatorial circuit does not have storage. It's the definition.
Bob