OT: Electronics word

My Nokia 5110 is 9 years old and still working fine. I'm going to use it until it dies, out of curiousity.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I was talking in generalities, out of curiosity at this stage. There isn't a specific project in mind.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Traces snap and break - yep even on brand new boards. We had some narrow traces - 5mil and 1 mil traces IIRC - more layers than you have fingers...

The boards were about 24" x 30" or more. Only a Mil spec fab house could make them - and then un-supported boards were failing board test.

Blank boards. Population helps stiffen the board but stresses it. Carry connector up - board hanging. It took a learning curve and a redesign to get technicians able to troubleshoot and swap boards.

That is what engineering finally worked out. It was our first attempt into using VLSI ECL gate arrays. Early 80's.

Our boards got larger, fluid cooled on both sides and like my GaAs VLSI IC - it was a 95 watt device and could easily melt solder and burn boards. Faster and improved and far more complex.

I have my Acutron(sp) watch I bought in 64 in the drawer - only a battery is needed - they last a year or so and I mostly wear other linear watches.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn