OT: find device drivers on dead computer

The process control computer for my new (to me) Mazak lathe won't boot. Bought it that way with no backups :(

I put the hard disk out of the dead box in another 'puter and I can access the data as the D:\ drive. I'd like to find the device drivers and, hopefully, the IRQ settings from the dead box. I want to move the display adaptor, two servo control cards, and one I/O card from the dead box to the new one. How do I find this information on this hard disk? (All the stuff you'd normally find by right click on MY COMPUTER)

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

What O/S was running on the old computer? For example, in the root D:\, do you see WINNT (NT or Win2K) or Windows (Win95 or Win98)?

If there's a file called autoexec.bat file in the root, what is in it?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

The simple way, if you can do it, is to boot into the machine using a boot disk. Many people use Disk 1 of the MSDOS 6.22 4 disk set, then push F3 to drop into an "A" prompt. If you can do this, you have half a chance of getting into your "C" drive.

Regards,

Marv

Karl Townsend wrote:

Reply to
Marv Soloff

Win 98 machine both old box and new box.

the there's one command "set as3000 = C:\as3000" , no help here.

I found the driver for the video card on the internet and have it running. There was a name on the card - google to the rescue. This was a biggy as I know Camsoft needs certain video cards to even try it.

For the other queries, The old box wouldn't do a thing, no POST, no boot from floppy, nothing. As the new box has all different hardware, I'm leary of using the old HD as a boot disk. Could try it as a last resort, may screw up more things than help. The last time I changed CMOS and jumpers etc., I killed the whole computer.

I'd still like to learn about those three other cards, drivers, IRQs etc.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

The old computer won't boot, do you think it is the computer, the hard drive or the OS that is the problem? Can you boot from a floppy? Can you boot off the hard drive when moved to another computer?

If the OS is Windows 95 or later, just install the cards in the new box and let Plug and Pray do it's thing. When it comes up and asks for software drivers, you can aim it to the 'D' drive. It will likely burp and ask for specific file names. Do a search on that name on D:\ and you may be good to go.

Another > The process control computer for my new (to me) Mazak lathe won't boot.

Reply to
Roy J

Actually, the IRQs and so forth are unique only on the cards installed. There are a number of the items that are on the MB but those are the same for all MBs. The OS may have references to those items but since they are defined in the cards installed, it really won't matter about the numbers in the registery. I'll note that changing a MB can and will cause problems with OSs like windoz 95 and up as they seem to want a particular chipset for the control stuff to run right.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works evevery time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

I exchanged Win98 hard drives between two systems this afternoon. I recommend that you copy the WIN98 folder from the CD to the hard drive if there is room. The P-n-P does work fairly well.

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

Go surfing for a progarm called "wdrvbck1.exe". It may require the use of a boot disk to get the OS (I'm assuming windows) running off of the old hard drive.

Karl Townsend ( snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net) wrote: : The process control computer for my new (to me) Mazak lathe won't boot. : Bought it that way with no backups :(

: I put the hard disk out of the dead box in another 'puter and I can access : the data as the D:\ drive. I'd like to find the device drivers and, : hopefully, the IRQ settings from the dead box. I want to move the display : adaptor, two servo control cards, and one I/O card from the dead box to the : new one. How do I find this information on this hard disk? (All the stuff : you'd normally find by right click on MY COMPUTER)

: Karl

-- Howard Eisenhauer on ************************************** * * Chebucto Community Network * Can't think of anything cute * Halifax Nova Scotia * to put in here * * * snipped-for-privacy@chebucto.ns.ca **************************************

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

Karl, Camsoft store all the configuration for your system in a .CBK file in the C:\galiloi directory, if the cards are PCI type they will be PnP , if they are ISA they will be manually addressed and the configuration will be in the CBK file. Do you have the Setup.exe file in the Camsoft directory? , if so if you run this you will see a development menu and a lot of the configuration and you can also edit the operator interface if you need to!. If you have the original Camsoft CD and intend reloading the software you should make a back up of the CBK files while you can, as one of them will pertain to your machine and might be called Mazak.cbk for e.g. and this is the only file that you cannot get from Camsoft as it was created by whoever retrofitted your machine. ( unless it was Camsoft themselves). If you do re-install the software, you would then have to run setup.exe and then do a RESTORE from the menu that comes up and point to the relevent cbk file to restore from. How come you have two servo cards? How many axis are there? First I would recommend installing the old hard drive in the new computer if it is still OK and make that the C: drive again. I would also suggest making a verbatim copy of your HD including Windows registry, just in case you get a HD crash down the road. Also try and get an upgrade to Win98se if you do not already have it. hope this helps. Alan Inness

Reply to
Alan Inness

BTW the AS3000 refers to Camsoft 'Advanced System 3000' CadCam software. You probabally have a copy of this with the CNC s/w. Alan Inness

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 23:22:10 -0600, Alan Inness

Reply to
Alan Inness

Karl, Back that old machines drive up first! Particularly before trying to use it as a boot disk. Getting the rest of the drivers of of the hard drive will be difficult at best. Drat I don't have a win9x machine handy anymore. But you may find a drivers directory in the windows directory tree of the old machines drive. Copying them to the same place on the new machine, installing the relevant cards and rebooting may help but may not. Ah before trying this back both drives up. However if I remember correctly 98 was pretty good about drastic hardware changes like this. Many boots sometimes to get it all but it usually worked. One anoying gotcha though. Changing the motherboard will force the reinstallation of the drivers, all of them. If the driver manufacturer did it correctly the driver will be on the old machines c: drive and all will be well. If they didn't it will ask for a driver installation disk! Wish I could help you more but you have a tough one on your hands here. What cards do you need the drivers for any way? Alan Wood

Reply to
Alan Wood

GREAT, Did I just find someone else that has Camsoft?? If so, can I ask you questions directly?

I dug around in all the old correspondence from Camsoft on my machine. They originally supplied three ISA cards, one I/O, and one driver card for each axis. It didn't work so they exchanged the driver cards for PCI cards, one for each axis. Looks like I have the oldest PCI driver cards in existence - they talk about getting a special new driver for these new cards.

I be doing all you suggested today, me thinks the only way I'm getting that driver is off the old HD. Backup everything twice before i start.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Reply to
Alan Inness

Hi Karl,

I answered one of your other post, but I forgot to get to my point. I noticed you are doing a CamSoft retrofit. I am pretty good at CamSoft and I want to become a dealer for them. I do agree that everything is configurable and that's actually what makes this package better than the rest. I can do almost anything I want, I would highly recommend it. They are a great group of guys, I get good support, but if you ever need some logic help or customizing a screen I can offer my services to you. I don't charge very much.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Cooper